Will Google "see" each product and its contents??

Started by gkarly, September 23, 2015, 07:24:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gkarly

Hi

I am turning a Joomla 2.5 website into a Joomla 3.4.4 + Virtuemart 3.0.10 website

Basically we have a very specific store with B2B products, we started with very few products that required lots of Description, Videos, Technical Data Downloads and several Images, so at that time the most obvious thing to do was to create an Article for each product, as well as modules with these contents related to each product. Due to our specific market customers have to make an enquiry for a price quote in order to buy. So, our product catalog has increased and this approach is no longer ideal.   :-\

Anyway our website does have good SEO and Google ranking for our top keywords, so for this extreme Redesign we have obviously done our homework and amongst the things we are doing is take care of 301 Redirects; and replicate / improve our organic SEO.

Virtuemart is the choice for us, BUT what I would like to know is how good is Virtuemart with Google rankings/analytics ??  if people use key words within my VM product will they be showed in Google, like say Amazon?? , we wouldn´t like to end up with a website "invisible" to google or that wont be completelly "seen" somehow.

:o

jjk

Quote from: gkarly on September 23, 2015, 07:24:23 AM
how good is Virtuemart with Google rankings/analytics ??  if people use key words within my VM product will they be showed in Google, like say Amazon??, we wouldn´t like to end up with a website "invisible" to google or that wont be completelly "seen" somehow.

After reading your question, I just typed the title of a book which I offer in my VM shop into the Google search. Result: The first two thumbnails images which Google displays in the web search results are from my shop and my product title and meta description is the first behind Amazon's.

However, VirtueMart gives you the tools to do SEO, like for example automatically built page titles, custom page titles, meta descriptions, microdata and canonical urls, but the ranking of your site depends on how you use these tools and of course is affected by many other things, like competition, geographical location, language, mobile friendliness, etc.

I don't know if the interaction of VM with Google Analytics is good, because I hate allowing data mining companies to track EVERYTHING. In my honest opinion Google Analytics is the opposite of data privacy. I prefer to use Piwik analytics, where the tracking data is stored in my own database.
Non-English Shops: Are your language files up to date?
http://virtuemart.net/community/translations

gkarly

:D  Great, thats all I wanted to know, that if people search my products will google find them on my website, so it does crawl the entire website including the VM content, at least VM is ok on that part regarding SEO then.

Thank you!  :)

Nilu

You can't rank in Google just by using VM or any other platform....you have to build links and awesome content, write unique product description, etc...
Google crawls whole website if you don't specify any rule in robots.txt...

gkarly

Quote from: Nilu on October 14, 2015, 10:41:08 AM
You can't rank in Google just by using VM or any other platform....you have to build links and awesome content, write unique product description, etc...
Google crawls whole website if you don't specify any rule in robots.txt...

umm thanks but I guess you did not read my first post... I never mentioned if I would rank in Google just by using VM, all I asked was if my VM Content be visible to Google, there are certain plugins/extentions that will somehow not render your content properly or will not show it "correctly or not even show at all in the eyes of Google", hence your website content does not get crawled correctly by Google, so that was my concern.

jjk answered that, and he also explained what you mentioned  ;)  but thank you for your imput