News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

Why Redmine

Started by Rune Rasmussen, September 04, 2015, 10:45:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Studio 42

I only answer to your last answer.
SVN have not the same possiblity as git branch, or is more complicate to maintain.
Of course Many use git for he"s own, but it's the same case as in a real site using virtuemart.
Only Difference, is that you can check what other do in github but not in e real running site.
Sometime some use a fork only to do a test, but this not mean they do a PULL request after.
Try some weeks Github and you understand.
I use many time "test branch' because this fix my current bug and Joomla used own branch to fix bootstrap.js bug fix.
But joomla branch can be merged at anytime to the main bootstrap project(or not)
The problem we had in the past can never be in github or only if the main branch owner do not maintain corretly the repo.
You have not to give any rights as on the main branch leaders.

whisky

Quote from: Milbo on September 15, 2015, 11:51:37 AM

First you blame redmine. Redmine has all of this features, but they are deactivated. Then you say "Why are VM still in the dark middle-ages?"

It is more svn, that show its middle-ages orientation.

github or bitbucket or gitlab, will come with so much good code oriented tools, that redmine, will reduce itself for what it is good for :
planing, partinoning roadmap, task tracker, and perhaps some user oriented bugs escalation.

The problem, objectively & outside your own behaviours, is that for a commercial site, a VM update is not a shoot and forget operation
as a lot of code decisions (obsoleting, removing code, make api breaking change to outside plugins in your own eco system...) aren't
documented properly.

So for a more complex site, updating is often a branch decision and careful examination of all you decisions and [PATCHS] that
people are sometimes obliged to introduce to overcome some short-sighted/undocumented decisions made in inner circles.

Git would help here, as we could alway use 'blame' or 'history' directly in the code, and would be a much more efficient (and less scary)
process : update & review (i.e small increment adaptations).

whisky

Quote from: Hutson on September 21, 2015, 09:41:49 AM
Max you are a great developer but too strickt

I have to strongly disagree - @max acts as the gatekeeper and product manager to the project - his diligence is required - this may result in blockages or items not making the release for many reasons.  That is the challenge for any would be providers, to make strong  business or technical representations for such changes to be included.

oh, I didn't get the part of the sentence you strongly disagree with !

I was please to see it, but because I tend to read only the first part, not the 'strictness' ;-)

Rune Rasmussen

Quote from: Milbo on September 21, 2015, 12:56:29 PMI explained this really very, very often.
If something is needed to be explained "really very, very often", then it's probably something being wrong somewhere.

Quote from: whisky on October 09, 2015, 12:49:23 PMThe problem, objectively & outside your own behaviours, is that for a commercial site, a VM update is not a shoot and forget operation
as a lot of code decisions (obsoleting, removing code, make api breaking change to outside plugins in your own eco system...) aren't
documented properly.

So for a more complex site, updating is often a branch decision and careful examination of all you decisions and [PATCHS] that
people are sometimes obliged to introduce to overcome some short-sighted/undocumented decisions made in inner circles.

Exactly, thank you @whiskey
Rune Rasmussen - https://www.syntaxerror.no/

Norwegian Translation Team

lindapowers

This post is from today http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=131662.0 another developer finds a little bug but he can't contribute other than posting in a forum, if the post is not seen by you Max or Valérie the bug will remain.

I myself posted bugs that were resolved in years, literally, the fixes sometimes were changing one line of code, fair to say many were fixed upon next release yes.
So I agree the system proposed here makes more sense.

And I dont blame you in saying you dont do the work, but is impossible for 2 to check every single post in the forum, everything that helps more people contribute and find bugs are more than welcome unless you want VM to become a one man army software.

Studio 42

Lindapowers,

I have report perhaps 20 bugs and some with solutions(perhaps not the best, i don't want do a polemic now). I don't send the last i found and other reported by customer and French users, because i only loose time for nothing. I am resolved only to help time to time in forum and not more.

Greetings,
Patrick

Milbo

Quote from: whisky on October 09, 2015, 12:49:23 PM

Git would help here, as we could alway use 'blame' or 'history' directly in the code, and would be a much more efficient (and less scary)
process : update & review (i.e small increment adaptations).

I give yah a good advice. Learn svn. All of what you say is also available in svn.

and Patrick, you had svn access for years. You are one of the reasons that I do not use GIT and most of your patches are not working in our quality. Stop blaming. In the moment you create a correct patch, I take it. I would have rejected your patches also if we would use GIT, no difference.

and as I already said, create your GIT, use GIT. You can use the svn patches for GIT and you can create patches for SVN with GIT, so it is in your own hand.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Studio 42

Max, Why get excited now ?
I simply not report bugs anymore. Problem solved, never bad solution anymore for the core, I only help time to time forum user to solve problem.
For git : perhaps if we used GIT the problem was never with patch.

And i simply reply to linda power having same problem as me. Reported bugs, give a starting solution, but had never real answer. Many patch proposed in forum are not perfect, but most time the bug exist.

Greets,
Patrick