News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

Category specific quantity discounts with thresholds

Started by jsha2015, September 03, 2015, 21:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jsha2015

Hello all, I would really appreciate your input on the specific scenario I am facing.

I have a Joomla 3.4.1 + Virtuemart 3.0.8 implementation.  I would like to apply a category specific quantity discount with thresholds.

The category is a specific manufacturer and the threshold discounts are:
0-4 items from manufacturer A - 0% discount
5-9 items from manufacturer A - 5% discount
10-14 items .... 10%

I would prefer to use base functionality in virtuemart for this purpose - do any of you know a way to do this?

If not, what plugin would support this scenario specifically.

Thanks so much for your help

Jörgen

You could setup prices for each quantity range. Add new prices under Products and it should work.

0..4 pcs
5..9 pcs
10..14c pcs

Jörgen @ Kreativ Fotografi
Joomla 3.9.18
Virtuemart 3.4.x
Olympiantheme Hera (customized)
This reflects current status when viewing old post.

jenkinhill

Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

jsha2015

Thank you both for your replies, they are much appreciated. 

Jörgen, I had looked at the possibility you suggested but didn't think it would work for our requires.

To clarify, i'll provide an example:

Acme is a manufacturer and is setup as a category of products in virtuemart - including 2 products; the Widget and the Gadget.
Albert is a customer of ours and chooses to purchase 3 Widgets (@ $10 each)and 2 Gadgets (@ $15 each) and a 6th item made by another manufacturer the Runcket (@ $20).
Logically we would like the 5% discount to apply to all of Albert's Acme purchases as he purchased 5 items from Acme, so:

Acme purchases = (3*10 + 2 * 15) = $60
Apply 5% discount of $3 = $60 - $3 = $57 
plus the non-discounted Runcket  $57+$20=$77

So in that scenario i don't think the price Quantity range alone solution would work, as it would require a customer to purchase 5 specific products before a discount was applied.

So do you agree? Or am i missing something?

P.S. Another very realistic scenario with this same requirement is where i have quantity discounts for anything in the "featured item" category.

jenkinhill, thanks a lot for the suggestion.  I am certainly open to a plugin, however we are trying to be much more diligent about our plugin choices as we have just finished a long an arduous virtuemart 1.X to 3.X upgrade which was made more complicated by a wide array of plugins which needed to be replaced.  So, my question for you is:  based on the scenario I provided above, in your opinion would the "Quantity related price calculation" plugin work for us?

thank you both again

regards
John

Milbo

I am quite sure about, yes.

It also combines different products of a manufacturer.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

jenkinhill

@jsha2015 
Milbo replied for me. I have no real site experience of using that extension, I have only once configured it for a client whose requirements were doifferent to yours..
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum