News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

virtuemart 3 - thumbnails size issue

Started by mailon, August 07, 2015, 10:46:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mailon

I am trying to use larger thumbnails for display in categories and in products but it does not seem to work.

I changed the thumb size from configuration (up to 250px width) and deleted the contents of the resized folder.
Emptied the cache just in case
The new files were created indicating the correct size, but my main page still shows tiny thumbnails and at the product page they did not really get any bigger.

I tried to follow those instructions (link below)  but are for Virtuemart2 and not 3 (and the code in the files is not there to alter) so I am lost... Any help will be appreciated
http://www.webholism.com/blog/sara/virtuemart-2-0-how-to-change-the-thumbnail-size-of-your-products/

PS: I tried the search on this forum first but had no luck with the answers I found

jenkinhill

Use Firebug to work out the issue, which will be due to CSS sizing of the image display.
http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=116620.0

Use the edited css file as an override. http://docs.virtuemart.net/tutorials/templating-layouts/106-override-vmsite-ltr-css.html

The category list (browse)  page uses the generated thumbnail image, but this may be further resized by CSS.
eg  .browseProductImage {
    max-height: 90px;
    max-width: 100%;
}

The product details page uses the full size product image which is reduced to a thumb size using CSS.
eg:   .main-image img {
    max-height: 260px;
    max-width: 100%;
}
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

blackhumor

That is so strange...

After so many years passed, and VM developers still haven't manage to fix this issue...
I remember that I have this problems since VM 1. And until the latest version VM 3.0.18 I still need to check the file and change it...

I wonder why it's a option to resize the thumbnails in the settings as long is not working in years...
And at least I (and everyone else) expect to atleast work in standard themes.

jenkinhill

Quote from: blackhumor on January 25, 2017, 23:07:11 PM
I wonder why it's a option to resize the thumbnails in the settings as long is not working in years...

It has worked as long as I can remember, assuming dynamic resizing is turned on, the thumb is stored in the sizes set in config.  Assuming there is no css overriding the layout, that size is used in the category browse  page.

The full size image is used in the product details page fancybox and is downsized by css for thproduct details display. All entirely logical.  And css overrides are so easy to use.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

rustle

I found that is a better idea to backup the old thumbs into a separate directory, then create the new thumbs via the VM media manager backend to your new specified size.

Once I was done I manually checked all products were calling the correct thumbnail url (newfilesize) in the backend product page.

Then migrate the old sized thumbs back into the resized folder
The reason I do this is because there is a ton of old link to the old resized files so this way I get the best of borthworlds

hope my tip helps