News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

Variants after upgrade to VM3

Started by driver_wedge, August 05, 2015, 12:49:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

driver_wedge

Hi guys

I've migrated my live and working site from J2.5 to J3 and upgraded VM2.5 TO VM3. I've had a fair few practice goes due to some previously aborted attempts to upgrade the site so had done as much reading up on it as I could, particularly with regards the change to customfields. I use a lot of generic child variants and on previous attempts to upgrade, everything seemed to work fine afterwards - the variants displayed as expected. However, this time I don't seem to be getting 'choose a variant' as an option within the dropdown on the product page - only the actual child products appear as options. See attached screenshot.

One thing that might be related is, when I run the "Update vm2 order format of customfields to vm3 format" after removing the old vm2 process, I simply get a blank white page. Is this normal? I've attached a screenshot for this too.

I've tried looking at the VM Demo backend and the settings for using a generic child variant and they don't appear any different to how I've set it up. I've tried all sorts of combinations to get this to work correctly (i.e. with 'choose a varianrt' or just parent product name) and it's beaten me.

EDIT: Another thing worth adding, is when I select AIO from the component menu in administrator, I get "An error has occurred - 404 Component not found". When going into Extensions>Update>Find Updates - it comes back with a list of errors with regards VM plugins...e.g. "Update: Could not open update site #32 "VirtueMart plg_vmpayment_realex_hpp_api Update Site", URL: VirtueMart plg_vmpayment_realex_hpp_api Update Site/extension.xml"

Any suggestions?

P.S. I'm obviously doing this on a back-up of the live site.

driver_wedge

After a bit more playing about, I find that I can get the 'Choose a variant' option to appear in the child dropdown when I tick 'parent orderable' in the custom fields type tab. I can work with this, but it also displays the 'Add to Cart' button for the parent, which I don't want. Admittedly, all parent products with have a stock quantity of '0' so will then get an 'out of stock' message. It's a step in the right direction but not the ideal solution.

I do have another site under development. It started out on J2.5 and VM2 but I recently also migrated and upgraded it. I just had a look at the generic child variant custom fields that I've used on a small number of the products and everything displays perfectly. Weird!

Thanks.... :-)

driver_wedge

I'm going to try the migration and upgrade again and see how that goes.

driver_wedge

I seem to have sorted this now, without doing the migration again. I have no idea how though....just by trying various combinations.

mattias_ms

I had a similar issue but in reverse, the actual sub-products wouldn't show up.
To solve this was easy, just re-save the product.
However, there are thousands of products this has to be done on... does anyone know if there is a way to re-save all products with the press of a button?