News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

VM3.0.9.4 No notification emails to user or vendor

Started by finbarr69, July 26, 2015, 21:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finbarr69

Hmm, this thorny issue again.

Neither the vendor nor the user (customer) is getting any emails from Virtuemart.  PHP Version 3.4.3  however another extension (contactenhanced) is working fine so it isn't an email settings problem.

I've got all the relevant boxes ticked I think (see attachment).

Can anyone shed any light on this?  We are using the Paypal module.  Incidentally, there is a button "Log in to Paypal" in the Paypal configuration page in VM.  Do we need to do this before this will work?

Thanks

Brian

finbarr69

I can't believe nobody has an answer to this.  Have I upset someone in some way?  Even just a suggestion of where to start looking?  Is it a problem with the paypal payment module?  I'm very happy to try and debug it and provide the bug fix back to the community when I identify the problem as I see quite a few others have the same problem.

For example, if a user (such as me testing it as a normal user) attempts to buy a product, but cancels it when at Paypal (using the Cancel and return to ... option) VM should email the shop owner and the shopper to say so [this option is turned on], but no email is generated.  I'm quite happy to go digging in the source code to debug it, but it would save me a lot of time if someone could point me at the relevant files.  Even just the name of the variable that holds the setting for "email on order cancel" would be a start and I could go grepping...

Thanks

Brian

jjk

Quote from: finbarr69 on August 14, 2015, 14:52:27 PM
For example, if a user (such as me testing it as a normal user) attempts to buy a product, but cancels it when at Paypal (using the Cancel and return to ... option) VM should email the shop owner and the shopper to say so [this option is turned on], but no email is generated.

I suppose "PHP Version 3.4.3" is a typo and you wanted to write Joomla 3.4.3.

Looks to me like you are misunderstanding the PayPal 'Cancel Payment' possibilities.
1. You can cancel a payment that hasn't been claimed yet.
2. If you have set up a recurring payment, a subscription, or automatic billing with a merchant, you can cancel your pending payments.

If you click 'cancel and return' while redirected to PayPal and return to the cart view, PayPal doesn't register any successful transaction and VM doesn't get notified by PayPal either. So no emails are sent.
If you want to test if your emails are working, the easiest method is to configure a standard VM payment method, and name it for example 'Cash on Delivery'. Then use a test-buyer account with an email different from your vendor email to make a test purchase.
Non-English Shops: Are your language files up to date?
http://virtuemart.net/community/translations

finbarr69

My apologies.  Yes, Joomla 3.4.3, php version 5.4.42.  I must have been tired when I typed my initial post. :-(

Ah ok, I did indeed misunderstand about the paypal cancellation emails.  However, I was using that Paypal cancellation as a test in response to my customer telling me that he had received notifications from Paypal that payments had been received (for orders), but he had not received any emails from Virtuemart about the order details.

Thank you very very much for the pointer in the right direction jjk.  I greatly appreciate your help. :-)

I will test again using COD and report back.

Warmest regards,

Brian

Studio 42

Hi
Check VM config, you can change when the user get emails.
Perhaps, it's a bad setting

finbarr69

I think I showed the config in my original post?

Studio 42

Yep, i don't have open the attached post thumbnail.
Is your virtuemart main vendor email same as Joomla email ?

finbarr69

Ah ok. :-)

Yes, the Joomla email address is the same as the setting on administrator/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=user&task=editshop -> Shopper Information (I think this is very confusing as he is the vendor, not a shopper) :S .

I've set it up to use PHP Mail (I have also tried SMTP) and it is my own dedicated server, I am the server admin and I have full root access, and I am a seasoned Unix sysadmin.  I have ticked all the boxes for sending emails on all statuses in VM.  And Contact Enhanced works fine, so Joomla is able to send emails without issue.

There was a problem initially with the upgrade from Joomla 1.5 to 3.x with the migration tool, whereby it chose the wrong user to be the shop admin (it chose some random user) but I corrected that, and it now shows the correct username and the correct shopper number/ID on the Shopper Information page.

I will keep investigating and report back.

Thanks for the help. :-)

Brian