News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

Import/Export Products

Started by timnancyk, July 25, 2015, 21:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timnancyk

I have an older Joomla 2.5 site with VM2.02. I need to export the products and import them into a new Joomla 3 VM3 site. What is the best way to go about this?

jenkinhill

That is a very insecure old version. Make a backup copy of the old site and install it in a subdirectory (or on localhost) and simply try installing VM3.0.9.4 into that copy using Joomla's extension manager. VM3 is designed to work with Joomla 2.5. If it installs then the database will have been updated to VM3 format so the VM tables can be imported into the new site, together wih the relevant product category image files.

Or take the intermediate J2.5/VM3 site and install VM3.4.3 on that, fix template and any other issues that arise and you have updated the old site.

How you go about it really depends on your skill level, how happy you are using phpMyAdmin etc.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

timnancyk

Yeah i was thinking of taking a backup of the Joomla 2.5/VM2 site and putting it on my testing server. Then updating VM2 to the latest VM. But i want Joomla updated to the latest as well. What do you think is the best approach? Update Joomla 2.5 to 3 first,  then update VM? I am surprised VM didn't make it easy to import/export data.

nikki021

I recently shifted to this platform this help would enable me to migrate all my product and gallery.

AH

Yeah i was thinking of taking a backup of the Joomla 2.5/VM2 site and putting it on my testing server. Then updating VM2 to the latest VM. But i want Joomla updated to the latest as well. What do you think is the best approach? Update Joomla 2.5 to 3 first,  then update VM? I am surprised VM didn't make it easy to import/export data.

I would do it the other way around

Update VM - then Update Joomla

Note that there are differences in the VM versions - read the release notes to see http://virtuemart.net/news/latest-news/465-virtuemart-3-is-here

I am surprised VM didn't make it easy to import/export data.

Doing the upgrade is VERY simple - and a lot simpler than export/import
Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0