News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

Standard search plugin and spaces

Started by ksfbjoern, June 22, 2015, 16:20:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ksfbjoern

Hello together,

i got some problems with the standard search plugin of virtuemart 3.0.9 + J3.41.

If there is a product called for example "baby jogger" an you search for "babyjogger" no result will be shown. The space between the words is obviously important for the search. I have seached for an option like "ignore spaces" or something else in the plugin-settings but have nothing found.

Has somebody a hint for me?

Thanks a lot!

balai

I don't think that exists ignore spaces and cannot find a reason for that.
The algorithm splits the phrase into it's words based on the spaces and then searches for these words in the database.

A series of letters without space is simply regarded as 1 word which sound reasonable.
Otherwise would have to split the whole word, letter by letter and tries to find a match which is not the best aproach

ksfbjoern

I think the reason is simple, like described in my first post. A customer searches for example a product official named "baby jogger" with "babyjogger" an gets no results. Now he may buy it in another store because the search failed  :-\

balai

"baby jogger" and "babyjogger" is not the same term and let me doubt that this works differently in most of the stores.  Except if they are declaring both terms somewhere.

It makes no sense to return the same results in a series of characters without a space and when there is a space between them.
The search cannot understand the real language to semantically identify the 2 terms, just looks the database to find matches

You could solve that by adding both terms in your meta data and use a 3rd party that searches the meta-data or by using both terms in your description

ksfbjoern

Thanks for your reply. Ok that would be a solution, but with lots of products with such therms quite time consuming  :-\