News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

My organization needs to repair some customized VirtueMart functions

Started by NWCAA, April 30, 2015, 18:49:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWCAA

www.nationalwarcollege.org

I've created a login that anyone can use to access our store.

Username: NWCAA Test
Password: testaccount

Joomla 2.5.18
VirtueMart: 2.0.12f

The problem we are having:

We are an alumni association that generates revenue in several ways. Two of them are connected: we allow members to purchase memberships that include a number of benefits, and we offer merchandise. Members receive a discount on merchandise based on their membership status.

When we began to develop a web store, we ran into the challenge of making sure that alumni receive the discount associated with their membership status. To do this, we created shopper groups. We decided that we would require registration for store access; registration, in turn, requires that registrants mark their own membership status. Once a registration is created, Joomla's registration tool sends the information to Joomla and places users in the shopper group they self-selected.

This has stopped working for reasons I don't understand, as I've changed absolutely nothing in the back end for quite some time. This system was created by the developer who put together our entire website and customized our VM solution...and unfortunately, that developer has closed and so we are in a position where we have a broken system that we do not know how to fix. While I run the content-side of the website, I completely lack the knowledge to fix this.

In the interim, we're are requiring registrations to be approved by the administrator (me) so that I can manually place them into the appropriate shopper group to ensure they receive the right discount. However, even this is not working correctly: users are explicitly told that they need to wait on me, but they're also sent a link that asks them to confirm their registration. When they click that link, they're sent to the front page and receive the following messages:

Could not instantiate mail function.

Registration failed: An error was encountered while sending activation notification email

The solution we are hoping for:

In the short-term, we are looking for a restoration of the function I described earlier that allows self-registration. We're finding that when users have to wait to create accounts, they lose interest in shopping. As an alternative, having the system we've "temporarily" switched to corrected so that it works the way it should would be acceptable (but not ideal).

There are other things we want to do with our store, but this is the first step. If you are interested in working with us, please reply to this thread or email me at alumni@nationalwarcollege.org

Sincerely,
Matthew Gasper
NWCAA Office

GJC Web Design

GJC Web Design
VirtueMart and Joomla Developers - php developers https://www.gjcwebdesign.com
VM4 AusPost Shipping Plugin - e-go Shipping Plugin - VM4 Postcode Shipping Plugin - Radius Shipping Plugin - VM4 NZ Post Shipping Plugin - AusPost Estimator
Samport Payment Plugin - EcomMerchant Payment Plugin - ccBill payment Plugin
VM2 Product Lock Extension - VM2 Preconfig Adresses Extension - TaxCloud USA Taxes Plugin - Virtuemart  Product Review Component
https://extensions.joomla.org/profile/profile/details/67210
Contact for any VirtueMart or Joomla development & customisation

jenkinhill

Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

Studio 42

I like, such guy as Edie, only here for money.
Thanks to remove the post from here jenkinhill