News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

Sell products by decimal weight

Started by bilalsaad, April 30, 2015, 12:41:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bilalsaad

Quote from: Studio 42 on May 03, 2015, 05:10:23 AM
But some vm user want the decimals as quantity to clarify order and card.(see attachment)
You are right, many VM users prefer the simplicity and clarity, even if the significant of the quantity as Milbo says have to be an integer because it is the number you want from the product, no difference if the product is 0.5kg or any.

But, because VM doesn't support this (decimal quantity), I think the better alternative solution is what Milbo says.

I think I will temporary use the custom size plugin.

lindapowers

I dont see your conflict here, we sell per kg and grams so we just define in the product name the quantity and in product weight 0.5 kg in the example of being 500 grams.

Make it simple and write the quantity in the product name!

We sell fruits and this was never a problem. 160 isnt that much either to create them.

You can do it even with the core functions.

If you create a product:

Pistacho sweets (500 g) and define product weight as 0.50 kg and the customer orders quantity 2 it will be 1 kg. Quantity 3: 1.50 kg

We have been doing this since vm2 and this way you are selling per weight. Yes you use the quantity box but the customer already knows is a package of 1 kg or whatever.

Milbo

Patrick, there you see the problem, you have to add the unit to the cart layout. In my solution it is written at the "position" and the quantity of the position cannot have a unit.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Studio 42

He is sure that if you do not want to implement this solution, you will find unfavorable arguments. I just report what users requested on some forums and projects.

Many prefer to have a main menu at top, but it's not bad to have a main menu at left side, and if it's possible, i do what the customer want.

Milbo

a "item of an invoice" needs a quantity, with the unit "the item of the line". This is indeed most time mandatory.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Studio 42

This i a real order :http://communaute.leroymerlin.fr/leroymerlin/attachments/leroymerlin/19/6713/1/001.jpg
And look for the quantity colomn.
Leroymerlin is one of the bigest DIY store in france.

Seoirserob

Hi

Milbo pointed toward the following plugin as a solution to this problem:

http://extensions.virtuemart.net/products/custom-size-detail

I would also like to be able to sell food products by weight.

Does this plugin update the stock quantities once an order is placed . . ?

I would like a solution which allow the customer to enter 1.45 or other such decimal value when adding to cart, at a specific price set per kg, and have that amount taken from the overall stock in inventory.

I am be prepared to pay for such a solution, but it would need to fulfill these criteria . . .

Setting a product a definite steps or quantities is not suitable for my needs, ie, 100g, 500g, 1kg, etc as I would like the user to be able to enter a desired weight not choose from a set list.

Also, if it is to be a custom plugin, like the one linked above, shouldn't the quantity box be replaced by the plugin quantity box, rather than having both visible.

Thanks
Rob.

Seoirserob

I have submitted a question to the developer of the plugin mentioned above, asking if the plugin handles update to stock quantities, as yet I have had no reply.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks.

Rob.

Milbo

Cant find your ticket. But in short, most people who want this, sell meterware and just take a look on the "roll", because you have to pack it anyway.

Studio 42

Hi all,
I continue this post because i had some other PM and ask for this(decimal quantities).
Problem is to update the stock, if the stock is the size or weight. How you will handel this case ?
Current having 10 Kg in stock = 10 quantity.
Say you sale 2.5kg(using a plugin or not) how you can handel this case?
I know you can change to grams and say quantity = 1 gram, but if you need to update the stock/quantity you have to reconvert all.(it's same when you use size)
Do the virtuemart team change this a day or not ?

Simply say, never, not now or yes. If someone know the current position of the dev team. I will not debate the legislation because this depend the countries.

Seoirserob

My request stands, and I'd like to put it out there to quote me by PM, to implement a system that can allow a vendor to sell by decimal quantity, and update the stock on hand.

Thanks in advance.

Rob.

aftertaf

don't want to fan any flames on this...
I had a similar need : selling some products per metre (fabrics) and others unitary.

I did buy the custom size plugin from istraxx, but as i'm also using VM to power the bricks and mortar shop coupled with POS (which doesn't support this plugin) I had to approach it differently.

For fabrics etc sold per metre
-created product/category overrides
-hacked the currencydisplay.php to have a new public function createPriceDivPerMetre
-overrides use this new function, which only does *100 on the price to display online
-set each product concerned to have the unit of sale metre and product packaging to be 0.01
-stock is handled per cm so when we buy 5m of something we actually have 500 of them.
-cost price is entered per cm
-min sale quantity is 20, incrementing by 5

Took a bit of getting used to, but apart from having to FTP my own version of currencydisplay.php when i update VM component each time, its zero maintenance.

Both VM and POSForWebshops don't have the required level of reporting & statistics on sales, so i've also thrown together my own Access database with ODBC links to websites' VM tables.

Hardest part was learning to override the different views...

In case this helps anyone who is faced with the same 'dilemma'...

AH

Maybe this plugin might have helped you??

Which allows you to set a price per metre and the variants of length you wish to sell plus lots of other config options

http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=127362.0

Using the option Multiply the price *
Config: 1m,2m@*2,3m@*3
Gives prices of: 1m = Retail, 2m = Retail * 2, 3m = Retail * 3

Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0

K&K media production

Quote-hacked the currencydisplay.php to have a new public function createPriceDivPerMetre

You can add your own PHP-File as helper to your Template and call public functions from there.

aftertaf

Quote from: K&K media production on May 28, 2017, 17:32:37 PM
Quote-hacked the currencydisplay.php to have a new public function createPriceDivPerMetre

You can add your own PHP-File as helper to your Template and call public functions from there.
Thankyou. I didn't know that.