News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

Hide Category Names - Keep Category Images - On Store Front?

Started by oneyozfest182, April 15, 2015, 19:34:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oneyozfest182

Using Beez3 template, I would like to hide category names on the store front if possible. I need the category names to still work as they show in the dropdowns and stuff in certain places, but on the main store front, it displays a category image which we use specific fonts for certain collections and want the standard text hidden. See attached.  :)

Virtuemart Version: 3.0.7.4
Joomla! Version: 3.4.1

Site Information
    OS Linux b
    PHP 5.3.13
    MySQLi 5.5.32-log
    Caching Disabled
    GZip Disabled

PRO

jenkinhill

This is done by creating an override for components/com_virtuemart/sublayouts/categories.php where you either remove the category name code from the following, or add in a class so that the category name can be hidden by css.

<h2>
          <a href="<?php echo $caturl ?>" title="<?php echo vmText::_($category->category_name) ?>">
          <?php echo vmText::_($category->category_name) ?>
          <br />
          <?php // if ($category->ids) {
            echo $category->images[0]->displayMediaThumb("",false);
          //} ?>
          </a>
        </h2>
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

oneyozfest182

Is that one of the core components? Only reason I ask is I know messing with the core components can be really risky. I want the category names to still work because of the side-bar module in my template that lets you see a list of the categories, but when there is a picture available for the category, in our instance, it makes it redundant.

Side note; I'm also having an issue where when I go to the Manufacturers section of Virtuemart, no Manufactures show. I add a new one, type all the details, save it, then go back to the Manufacturers section again and nothing is there. I can't choose the manufacturers on any frames I select or anything either, but the "Manufacturers" side-bar from the template still shows them...  :-\ Scratching my head a lot over some of these weird hiccups...

jenkinhill

No it is not core that you edit, it is a template file and you make an override for the default file so that the edit is not lost when you next update.
http://docs.virtuemart.net/tutorials/templating-layouts.html

The Manu issue is not template related so should be posted in the admin forum.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

oneyozfest182

Okay I found that line. What is it that I need to add and/or change? Sorry for the "noobie" question.

GJC Web Design

<?php // echo vmText::_($category->category_name) ?>
GJC Web Design
VirtueMart and Joomla Developers - php developers https://www.gjcwebdesign.com
VM4 AusPost Shipping Plugin - e-go Shipping Plugin - VM4 Postcode Shipping Plugin - Radius Shipping Plugin - VM4 NZ Post Shipping Plugin - AusPost Estimator
Samport Payment Plugin - EcomMerchant Payment Plugin - ccBill payment Plugin
VM2 Product Lock Extension - VM2 Preconfig Adresses Extension - TaxCloud USA Taxes Plugin - Virtuemart  Product Review Component
https://extensions.joomla.org/profile/profile/details/67210
Contact for any VirtueMart or Joomla development & customisation