VM Products not working anymore after Joomla update

Started by MAD King, March 22, 2015, 15:03:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MAD King

Funny, for me it read as VM is blaming Joomla, and on Joomla forum they blame VM.
Joomla! 4.3.4
VirtueMart 4.2.4 10922

lindapowers

I believe we cant just install the package for joomla 3.4.0 back so any help a bit more detailed about the process to solve this would be great.

Regards

deepsky303

It is definitely Virtuemart.
If you delete an updated virtuemart and put again the previous version it will work fine on any version of Joomla. But when updating to 3.0.6.2 again problems with the products.

lindapowers

The problem is not only with products but with multilingual stores, this combination of joomla 3.4.1 and vm 3.062 or 63 kills the languages in front end and links to additional languages in products creating 404 or non translated texts in frontend. Is easy to check in the backend when changing language in the shop section, only displays the default even when the rest is filled up and appears in the database.

The website itself except vm works well, even the languages in the non vm pages, not blaming vm though but hell... never though this update to j 3.4.1 would bring so much pain :(

Miku

Quote from: deepsky303 on March 23, 2015, 18:08:37 PM
I'm far from giving such opinions but in my case is similarly - I mean I work on VM 3.0.6 and J! 3.4.1 and the issue you have mentioned about doesn't occur. So maybe in fact the devs of Virtuemart should look for the cause in their code not in Joomla...

franzpeter

The quickest solution for the moment to get it to work with Joomla 3.4.1  is to exchange two core files in Joomla. Login in with ftp to your Joomla installation. There is a folder called media/system/js. Inside there are two files: validate-uncompressed.js and validate.js. To keep those two files, just rename them with newvalidate-uncompressed.js and newvalidate.js. Take the two files from Joomla 3.4 and FTP those two files into the same folder as mentioned above. Should work again until a solution is found.

Miku

Quote from: franzpeter on March 23, 2015, 19:09:10 PM
The quickest solution for the moment to get it to work with Joomla 3.4.1  is to exchange two core files in Joomla. Login in with ftp to your Joomla installation.
What about the solution presented in this thread?
http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=128961.msg443621#msg443621
Could be an alternative for the one you have mentioned?

franzpeter

kaybee57

Exactly the same issue here as well.
Tried all sorts of modifications with no luck.

Milbo

Quote from: Miku on March 23, 2015, 18:51:13 PM
Quote from: deepsky303 on March 23, 2015, 18:08:37 PM
I'm far from giving such opinions but in my case is similarly - I mean I work on VM 3.0.6 and J! 3.4.1 and the issue you have mentioned about doesn't occur. So maybe in fact the devs of Virtuemart should look for the cause in their code not in Joomla...

The reason is, that we added the js validation for the product edit, which was not used before. The js validation works fine with j2.5.x and j3.3 and j3.4.0, but NOT with j3.4.1, so it is indeed a joomla problem.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Losth

Quote from: franzpeter on March 23, 2015, 19:09:10 PM
...is to exchange two core files in Joomla. validate-uncompressed.js and validate.js. Should work again until a solution is found.

Yeah, thanks. It works.
3.4.1+3.0.6.2

P.S. I had a clean and empty parallel system J3.4+3.0.6.2 updated with 3.4.1 = there were no probs with product's saving.

hakan26

I renamed two files on FTP, still same issue.

How to fix?

Milbo

Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

MAD King

Quote from: Milbo on March 24, 2015, 10:17:44 AM

................so it is indeed a joomla problem.

Nothing gets solved by blaming others. You have to work together to get a solution.
Joomla! 4.3.4
VirtueMart 4.2.4 10922

Milbo

MAD King it creates an error and before there was no error. They fixed something completly different and as side effect it breaks the js, if you use an id with []. The reason is that it was before escaped or something like that and now not anylonger.

I dont know why they did the changes, but assumingly to make the validation more restrictive, but not less robust.

In VM we talk about to add fallbacks if the developers did a real error. Joomla reacts more and more strict. In our case to use an id with [] in the name is valid and allowed, but not validating strictly for all doctypes. So for HTML5 it is valid, for HTML4.01 Strict it is invalid. None browser had problems with it the last years. It is just the new validation.js. From my point of view a devolution.

Code should always become more robust, except it is extraordinary slow. A good example here are the changed language files from j1.5 to j2.5. But here is no reason to break it. So we convert now the [] to dots and anything is fine.