News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

VM 3.0.6.2 Multi-Variant - Lessons Learned

Started by Gretch, March 09, 2015, 20:35:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gretch

Joomla! 3.4.0, VM 3.0.6.2, Joomla Shack Wright template (basically Bootstrap 3 with very few modifications)

As I slowly work my way through VM3 and specifically learning how to use the new multi-variant custom fields (thanks to Milbo for creating the function and all the others who made helpful posts on how to use it,) I have discovered a couple of things - maybe bugs, maybe not.

1) When creating a multi-variant product, if you also want to add additional custom fields other than the multi-variant fields (such as one for "warranty info") they must added AFTER the multi-variant fields and AFTER at least one child product is created.  Otherwise, on the FE, when a different variant is selected, the information in the child (price, image, other custom fields) are not displayed.  I was able to consistently replicate this.

UPDATE.  Above is not not true.  I traced the problem of child information not showing due to a quote (") within the variant values.  one of my variants was diameter and had values of 4", 5" etc where the quote symbolized inches.  Lesson Learned:  NO QUOTES is the variant values.

2) You must fill in the parent price and SKU in the parent information tab area.  If it is just entered into the child area after the first child is created, it will not be saved in the parent information area.

3) Minor - when prices are entered into the children by way of the parent custom-fields tab, the product list does not show that there are prices for the children.  However, on the FE they show.  This is just a minor visual BE issue.

Milbo

Quote from: Gretch on March 09, 2015, 20:35:16 PM
1) When creating a multi-variant product, if you also want to add additional custom fields other than the multi-variant fields (such as one for "warranty info") they must added AFTER the multi-variant fields and AFTER at least one child product is created.  Otherwise, on the FE, when a different variant is selected, the information in the child (price, image, other custom fields) are not displayed.  I was able to consistently replicate this.
Interesting observation. I will keep an eye on it.

2) You must fill in the parent price and SKU in the parent information tab area.  If it is just entered into the child area after the first child is created, it will not be saved in the parent information area.
Yes there is a conflict. I just "solved" it today. First I merged the data of the parent, displayed in the list to data to be stored, but then alll normal fields which are doubled in the list do not work. So I decided to go the other way. The parent in the list is now just displaying it, but greyed out. The real fix would be a js, doing the synchronisation.

3) Minor - when prices are entered into the children by way of the parent custom-fields tab, the product list does not show that there are prices for the children.  However, on the FE they show.  This is just a minor visual BE issue.

I think that you forgot here that children inherit the price of the parent. So if you leave it empty, the price is taken by the parent.
If you see in the BE the same price for your child and parent, then you overwrote the price of the parent with the same price. So if you change the price of the parent, the price of the child is NOT changed. To reflect that, the prices of the childs stay empty.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Gretch

Thanks for the reply and explanations, Milbo.   I appreciate it.

crn

I am really struggling with adding multivariants. I create the custom field, add ramifications and only blank drop downs appear. ?????

qb-virtue

I am having the same problem as the last poster. When I fill out the Multi Variants the "Choose a Variant" does nothing and the "Select an Option" dropdowns don't do anything. Is there any help available for configuring a Multi Variant?

For example, I need to set up a product with 8 variants, each a different height and weight. The shipping needs to be calculated based on the weight of the variant. Can this be done using MultiVariants? If so, how?

Thank you in advance.