News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

Generic child variant frontend stock display number (bug?)

Started by padalec, February 18, 2015, 09:23:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

padalec

Hi,

Just a simple question. Don't know it is a bug or am I missing something?!

I have a PARENT PRODUCT and its 3 CHILDS as follows (childs are shown via CUSTOM FIELD -> generic child variant -> see setup in attached image):

PARENT product - no. of stock 4
- CHILD 1 - no. of stock 2
- CHILD 2 - no. of stock 1
- CHILD 3 - no. of stock 1

In frontend in details view we can see PARENT PRODUCT  and stock level 4.

Now a user MUST SELECT a desired CHILD PRODUCT (if not there is no ADD TO CART BUTTON), but the stock level remains the same (4) instead of stock number related of selected CHILD PRODUCT.

A workaround

If I go to (PARENT PRODUCT -> CUSTOM FIELDS -> CUSTOM FIELD TYPE -> (here is my generic child variant field) and select PARENT ORDERABLE ) the stock numbers in frontend are displayed properly.

The only problem in this scenario is that a user can select a PARENT PRODUCT (ADD TO CART IS DISPLAYED BY DEAFULT) - which does not exist in my case (so we might need to call back costumers and ask of the desired product variant he or she choosed, if no CHILD PRODUCT was selected).

Is this a bug?

Best regards.

jenkinhill

Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

padalec

Sorry ... forgot that ...

VM 3.0.4.
Joomla! 3.3.6 Stable [ Ember ]
PHP Version    5.3.27 

I will send live URL via PM.

Best regards

jenkinhill

Don't bother sending a PM. I don't do housecalls except for my own clients.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

sonickev

Quote from: padalec on February 18, 2015, 09:23:10 AM
Hi,

Just a simple question. Don't know it is a bug or am I missing something?!

I have a PARENT PRODUCT and its 3 CHILDS as follows (childs are shown via CUSTOM FIELD -> generic child variant -> see setup in attached image):

PARENT product - no. of stock 4
- CHILD 1 - no. of stock 2
- CHILD 2 - no. of stock 1
- CHILD 3 - no. of stock 1

In frontend in details view we can see PARENT PRODUCT  and stock level 4.

Now a user MUST SELECT a desired CHILD PRODUCT (if not there is no ADD TO CART BUTTON), but the stock level remains the same (4) instead of stock number related of selected CHILD PRODUCT.

A workaround

If I go to (PARENT PRODUCT -> CUSTOM FIELDS -> CUSTOM FIELD TYPE -> (here is my generic child variant field) and select PARENT ORDERABLE ) the stock numbers in frontend are displayed properly.

The only problem in this scenario is that a user can select a PARENT PRODUCT (ADD TO CART IS DISPLAYED BY DEAFULT) - which does not exist in my case (so we might need to call back costumers and ask of the desired product variant he or she choosed, if no CHILD PRODUCT was selected).

Is this a bug?

Best regards.

Ha ha. some people forget what free software is and only try to make money out of it.

Yes there does appear to be a bug in the code right now and I think it is being worked on.

Basically, the generic child Variant has the option to make the parent product orderable or not. The child variant does not currently have that option (to make the parent orderable or not)

So, we currently (with VM 3.0.4) appear to have a situation where a parent that is not orderable still has to have a stock level that is positive, even though the child product may or may not be out of stock
OR the parent product is orderable, but selecting a child product that is out of stock still allows it to be added to the cart.

The current demo, which appears to have solved some of this is at version 3.0.6 (as you stated) but is currently not available and also not supported by any of the great engineers out there that would be happy to help you.

PM me and we can walk through this together as we look for a solution.

jenkinhill

Quote from: sonickev on February 19, 2015, 05:30:16 AM
Ha ha. some people forget what free software is and only try to make money out of it.

I give my time free here like all mods, but my own clients provide the income to pay my bills and allow me limited time to spend here.

VM3.0.6 is available in SVN and should be in public release today or tomorrow.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK