News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

Any way to stop VM 2.0 child product page loading?

Started by en jie rudd, December 26, 2014, 09:39:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lindapowers

Quote from: Milbo on February 06, 2015, 17:32:01 PM
There are different problems in this topic.

One is the simple function logic, you can use other switches and it just changes the price and does not redirect you to the product detail page. So I understand you expect the same for the Child variant.

The function of the child variant is so, that it reloads the full product. This behaviour makes it very mighty, because you can change the price tables, discounts, images, description, dimensions, and so on. When we reload the full product, we use a generic script which works for different occasions. This gives the impression, that the page does not reload, but in fact it reloads 80% of the page, but per ajax.

So when you use this command from the category browse view, the ajax is not loaded and it redirects you to the productdetail page. Because to underline,.. the child variant is working the way, that it redirects you to another product, you just dont notice it in the productdetails, because ajax does it for you.

So technically, I need to use another script in the category browse view, and create a new json view, to able to replace the inner part of a product "frame" of the category browsing view. This is quite a lot work.

So the next question is then, if it really hurts that much. The customsize is speshitpilled to display 50 different products in one product detail page, already. So when you show now 20 products which are actually 2000 products, I wonder if it makes sense to allow users to use the add to cart there. Using variants in the category browse view makes for me only sense when you have a simple product setup. Maybe like in your case Manu, packages with 1kg, 2kg and 5kg or so.

On the other hand, vm3 is in my case so much faster, .... I wonder if it really hurt that much. And as JJK pointed out, it is not always allowed. Maybe in your case the multiadd layout is anyway more interesting. It is part of the support membership.

Thanks for extense reply Max.

Yes I believe it hurts a lot the buying process for a customer even with the improved speed of VM3. Basicly the customer is trying to choose a product from the category view and is redirected to another page (the detail view of the product). The customer wastes more time when buying and will have to click the "back to category" or browser back button constantly. Even more simple, you are forcing the customer to a page he didnt choose.

I believe "child variants" are correctly used when products have different descriptions, photos and stock.
A simple example for us would be "apples" with different varieties, where we have to show photos and different descriptions.

If we create a parent product "Apples" with childs A, B, C with all the different varieties imagine how uncomfortable is for a customer to be redirected each time he wants to add a small quantity of each product to the cart.

But this will affect all the shops where customers have to choose several products from childs. Luckily we did not used so much childs till now but we had it planned until we saw this redirect.

Yes we can use the simple custom field where the page is not redirected but that doesnt seem the solution since all products are from the same parent but completely different... so child products would be the choice.

Please think about it, This could become very annoying for shops with many child products. We need the loading to be done from the same view the user is in.

Regards

PD: I prefer paying a bit for the development of this feature in the core Max, as im convinced is gonna make more and more people mad. There are already like 3 topics talking about it.

lindapowers

Would be nice to know if we will ever get the reload in the category page.

There is not a single cart that works this way and sadly we will have to search for a different system.

From your words I assume not even a plugin could avoid the redirect to the detail view, and once more is incredibly irritating and nonsense.