News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

Joomla 2.5 outdated => How to update Joomla 2.5 and VM System ???

Started by lostmail, February 12, 2015, 20:43:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AH

QuoteSo the argument is that higher security, better performance and several enhancements do not concern your client?
If he does not want to undertake the cost that's his decision.

Well this, much reduced list of "must have new features" is far easier to manage.

You have wrongly assumed that I am a developer (tsk tsk) when, in fact, I am actually the client (and economic buyer!)

So let me give you my summary.

Quotehigher security
Good - you agree that Joomla 2.5 is not insecure

Quotebetter performance
This may be the only thing that might (not definitely) be worth it.

Quoteseveral enhancements
None of which are focused on improving my shopping cart, except maybe a responsive template (bootstrap), which I can already have in Joomla 2.5

Hopefully this discussion helps those thinking of moving from Joomla 2.5.28 to Joomla 3.x

I probably should have highlighted what benefits Joomla 3.x could bring over Joomla 2.5.28 but reading this thread may help others decide to jump or to wait.

As a result of reading and considering all this, I, for now, will stick with my first response:-

QuoteIt is not outdated and unless you really need any of the "new" functionality in joomla 3, I would stick with Joomla 2.5

It is NOT a "do not move" statement.

I point out what all economic buyers should do - Make sure that the technical guys can make a real business case for the change, considering thoroughly the business benefits and the risks.

;)
Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0

balai

Just a tip that concerns the economic buyer.

You know how most of the hacking happens? By exploiting holes in other sites of the shared server
if someone with a bit of experience manages to steal your encrypted credentials, it is mattter of seconds to minutes to resolve them and have a full control of your site.
If this is not important what is finally?

Anyway i am stopping here. As said it's a good article for anyone thinking to upgrade to J3

Milbo

Quote from: balai on February 20, 2015, 18:53:56 PM
It is much more secure, much faster and has a series of new features.

Maybe by the theory of unit testing. But not in reality. Please read for yourself the security issues for both version. You will see that either a security issue counts for both version or only j3. I never saw a security with j2.5 only, yet. It may differ with j3.4. http://developer.joomla.org/security.html

Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

AH

Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0

GJC Web Design

just an observation on security..  J1.5 was last updated on 27 March 2012 except for the media patch thing - afaik it is secure - I have many clients still running it without problems

So nearly 3 years without a reported flaw.. perhaps because no one is "developing" it... ?    ;)
GJC Web Design
VirtueMart and Joomla Developers - php developers https://www.gjcwebdesign.com
VM4 AusPost Shipping Plugin - e-go Shipping Plugin - VM4 Postcode Shipping Plugin - Radius Shipping Plugin - VM4 NZ Post Shipping Plugin - AusPost Estimator
Samport Payment Plugin - EcomMerchant Payment Plugin - ccBill payment Plugin
VM2 Product Lock Extension - VM2 Preconfig Adresses Extension - TaxCloud USA Taxes Plugin - Virtuemart  Product Review Component
https://extensions.joomla.org/profile/profile/details/67210
Contact for any VirtueMart or Joomla development & customisation

balai

So the argument is no bug report=stability. Right?
Do you have any recent bug report from mambo or from virtuemart 1? I suppose no. Why don't you use them?
is there any recent data proving their security and stability? No.
The latest stable version gets the focus. Most bug report is not done by the average user but by users having some tech background. Tell me how many of the reported issues could be even understood by an average user?
So dont be so sure that an old version is as stable and secure as you may think. It is just a dead case. If a problem occurs with a dead version the answer Is always the same "upgrade". Not "report it".

AH

QuoteAnyway i am stopping here.

Apparently not  :)

QuoteSo the argument is no bug report=stability. Right?

Yes that is exactly the point! If I have a piece of software that is no longer in "active" development and I am suffering no business issues - it IS stable.

There may be tons of bugs in it but, as I note earlier:-
QuoteThey are only bugs if they are a problem to my business/store operation

Your obvious technical leaning is clouding your argument.

QuoteWhen a problem occurs with a dead version the answer Is always the same "upgrade". Not "report it".

Dead version - So Joomla 2.5.28 is considered by you to be a dead version only months after the last update.

From the Joomla site  "End of Support for 3.x   No Earlier Than February 2017"

As a consequence (based on your statement above) Joomla 3 is "Dead" In March 2017.  If I launch today I get a max of 2 years - I cannot wait to see you justify this investment to any prospective "upgraders"  for 2 years of use - before they get hit again for upgrade fees to a version that has even less business improvements than the last weak featured version - but don't moan, because those Joomla developers are having real fun in their spare time.

In fact, I can see why users might be driven to "cart only" solutions if this continues.

QuoteSo don't be so sure that an old version is as stable and secure as you may think.
And don't be so sure that the current version of Joomla won't have issues - that they introduced when they tinkered and you overlooked.

Nobody said NEVER upgrade
Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0

GJC Web Design

The real test of stability and safety is what actually happens in real life.. I am not talking about reported vulnerabilities - I am discussing my real world experience of a large customer base with a mixture of J1.5, J2.5 & J3 sites

I nearly 3 years I effectively not had to touch a J1.5/VM1.1 site - this makes for happy clients

If only the same could be said for any that stupidly demanded e.g. a move to J1.6/VM2 - said to be the Holy Grail at the time .. wooooo

If I religiously updated to each new release and version I would have billed them for dozens of upgrades and building or sourcing of extensions and the client would rightly comment that as far as they are concerned the site looks the same as it was in 2010... 

The subject of this topic is Re: Joomla 2.5 outdated....  i.e. with the view of a real world end user asking WHY Joomla are pressuring them to upgrade by installing a plainly mis-leading plugin on a required update.

QuoteDo you have any recent bug report from mambo or from virtuemart 1? I suppose no. Why don't you use them?

This is not the discussion ..  since November I have completed many J3/VM3 sites and are perfectly happy with them - the question was why upgrade...
GJC Web Design
VM4 AusPost Shipping Plugin - e-go Shipping Plugin - VM4 Postcode Shipping Plugin - Radius Shipping Plugin - VM4 NZ Post Shipping Plugin - AusPost Estimator
VM2 Product Lock Extension - VM2 Preconfig Adresses Extension - TaxCloud USA Taxes Plugin - Virtuemart  Product Review Component

balai

QuoteThe real test of stability and safety is what actually happens in real life.. I am not talking about reported vulnerabilities - I am discussing my real world experience of a large customer base with a mixture of J1.5, J2.5 & J3 sites
Keep in mind that you will not hacked/compromised by the average user. 
Most of the average users have never used a CMS again and you are trusting their judgement about how stable and secure is a system?
Ok i quit

AH

QuoteOk i quit

That is a shame. You never managed to really get your arguments going - I am sure if you tried a bit harder you would make some sort of a case for upgrading immediately.

I will of course upgrade when the time is right.  2017 is looking good at the moment!
Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0

GJC Web Design

QuoteMost of the average users have never used a CMS again and you are trusting their judgement about how stable and secure is a system?

Nope - I'm trusting MY judgement on what is necessary and whether I want to build a reputation as a fly by night rip off web site manager milking the client till he gets tired of the constant billing and goes and finds another  - no doubt spreading the word about why he had to find another.

I do of course enter into a discussion with them on the advantages and dis-advantages of upgrading - normally when billing them for the latest update - so they can make an informed decision
GJC Web Design