News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

VM3 Stockable variants for Size + Color?

Started by rayge, January 01, 2015, 14:02:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rayge

I am trying to complete a clothing site for a client using VirtueMart 3.0.2 and Joomla 3.3.6

Since custom fields have changed how things work HOW do I accomplish this?
I would think i need a parent product with the main data and the child products with the size and colors. Then make the parent NOT selectable.

What custom field(s) would i use and what process to get this functioning?
I Use: Joomla 3.4.1 & VM 3.0.9

jjk

Did you have a look into the backend at demo.virtuemart.net? There should be examples for your case.
Non-English Shops: Are your language files up to date?
http://virtuemart.net/community/translations

rayge

I did, and i didn't find anything matching what I wanted to do that functioned.
Child Variant is the only thing that COULD work but it doesn't work properly still..

There are issues with this custom field on both the admin side and the front end.

jjk

I thought on the demo site the 'Santa Cap' or 'Red Santa Cap' uses everything you need.
Non-English Shops: Are your language files up to date?
http://virtuemart.net/community/translations

rayge

The generic child variant doesn't handle things like size and color as stockable variants BUT if i put the size and color in the TITLE of each child it is a work around to handle it.
Thanks its atleast a functionable method for VM3 J3.X

balai

As far as i see "Santa" and "Red Santa" are using a string for the size and a child variant for the color.
I cannot find a way to create a stockable variation using more than 1 option (e.g. Size and Color).

I decided to develop a plugin to create stockable variations from custom fields .
It will be completely free of charge.

sandstorm

I have questioned this before and I am with "RAYGE" on this.
There doesn't seem to be a way to set products up in VM3 with full stockable control? IN VM2 we used the stockable variants plugin, which no longer exists.  >:(

The Santa Cap in the demo (or the "Product using generic child and cart variant" in the sample data) will functionally work to a certain extent, but this doesn't allow products in this setup to be stockable as the stockable variants plugin worked in VM2.

Say you have a Red & Green T Shirt's in Small, Medium & Large. 
You can set up a product called T shirt & then 2 children named, Red T Shirt & Green T Shirt, then use the "Generic child Cart variant" against these.
In each of the Red & Green T shirt you then need to used the "Cart variant" to add the sizes - Small. Medium & Large.

This gives you the equivalent of the Santa Cap, but then none of the products have stock control.
Also when selecting the Generic Child variant the URL changes and the page refreshes. I understand that this was done to allow you to display different images for the variants, but is there a need to reload the page & change the URL.

Balai, I would be interested in having a look at your stockable variant plugin & testing it And think there should be another option in VM3 for fully stockable Parent/Child products

Ideally what I want/need to do is (using the above T shirt example) is to set up  Parent Product called T Shirt, which doesn't have to be orderable. Its almost a place holder & then create 6 Children products as below - Where in these children all I need to add is, Price, SKU, Stock Number, weight, Image

Parent - T Shirt
Children;
Red T Shirt Small
Red T Shirt Medium
Red T Shirt Large
Green T Shirt Small
Green T Shirt Medium
Green T Shirt Large

Then some sort of stockable variant plugin that will allow for 2 dropdowns in the front end, one for "Select Colour" & another for "Select Size"
J3.6.4 / PHP7.0.12
VM3.0.16

balai

QuoteThen some sort of stockable variant plugin that will allow for 2 dropdowns in the front end, one for "Select Colour" & another for "Select Size"

This is what i have in mind. To create variations/products from custom fields, using as many custom fields as you like.

sandstorm

Quote from: balai on January 09, 2015, 16:36:29 PM
This is what I have in mind. To create variations/products from custom fields, using as many custom fields as you like.
Using Parent & Child products, yes? The idea for me & I think "rayge" is that the products all need to be created separate tin order to have own SKU and stockble
J3.6.4 / PHP7.0.12
VM3.0.16

balai

A screenshot can clarify the things

bmw2182

When might this plug in be available?  I would be interested as well!  Thanks!

balai

Possibly there will be a beta before the end of the month. I will let you know

Milbo

Guys, you wanna make fun on me?

You never tried the "child variant" ? which is much more mighty than the old "stockable plugin" ? just because there is no sample data yet? a come on.

Generic child variants != child variants
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

sandstorm

I tried to have a play with "Child variant" but I couldn't seem to figure it out to get the (multiple) variants showing for a product, that needs stock control.
Like T shirt with colours as an option and sizes as an other option.

If I am missing something please can someone help/advise?

J3.6.4 / PHP7.0.12
VM3.0.16

balai