News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

J3 & vm3 ready for prime time?

Started by rayge, December 17, 2014, 17:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rayge

I started on 2 site installs for clients using VM 2.6.X and Joomla 2.5.X in November Still waiting on VM 3 to be ready and stable for my clients. Im simply asking if VM3 is really ready for live sites? is it stable? As i will have to re install the sites with the new version and go from there and i dont want to waste the time if VM 3 isn't really ready.
I Use: Joomla 3.4.1 & VM 3.0.9

jenkinhill

I'm already using VM3 and so are a lot of others! http://extensions.virtuemart.net/ runs VM3 on J2.5.27 which is possibly the best combination at the moment while there are still niggles with J3 itself.

Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

rayge

SO your saying we should stick with joomla 2.5 with VM3?
What could be possible snags with using VM3 and Joomal 3.x?
Also knowing the Joomla End of Life is in like 2 weeks wouldn't it make more sense to go with Joomla 3? and VM3?

Troels_E

I'd like to know about those J3 niggles as well.

I'm currently working on a new J3/VM3 site to replace our very old vm shop and Joomla will probably have sorted out all bugs before I'm ready (much is trial and error here, as I don't have any expertise) but it would be nice to know what to be aware of.

Regarding being ready for prime time.
Currently we don't even have an EPAY payment (Danmark) module for VM3 ready, so for now it's still useless to us. I really wonder how much work it is to update a VM2 module to VM3...

EPAY module, Pakkelabels.dk integration, GLS and Post Danmark integration seems to be missing at the moment. Naturally I have contacted all to get things working on VM3:)

jenkinhill

@rayge do not confuse "End of life" with "End of development". In the same way that there are tens of thousands of Joomla 1.5 sites still live and working there will be a vast number of J2.5 that will never be updated to J3 or later. Should any security issues crop up for J2.5 you can be sure that fixes will be made available from third parties. So I would not worry about continuing with J2.5 with VM3 for old sites being updated, and maybe change to J3+ sometime in the future.

For new sites I use J3/VM3 if all required estensions are available. VM2.6.14 will continue to be supported by the devs for maybe 2 years, although no new features will be added.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

rayge

@jenkinhill Ok so no pressure then to Migrate existing J2.5 VM2.6 users to J3 VM3? I have tons of clients on this platform so Id hate to push them into it right away if they can wait some time still. Although it would give me practice to work on a few sites migrations to see what kind of difficulties i might face :)

And yeah i didn't follow the difference between End of Support VS End of Life.

thanks for the insight.
Side note again what could be possible niggles with using VM3 and Joomal 3.x? Is there a page with that sort of info?

jenkinhill

It is the Joomla core developers who insist on calling it "End of life" but they don't live in the real world where site owners don't want to or don't have the budget to "upgrade". For most of my clients 5-6 years is the site lifespan before they consider updating.

There have been pagination issues with J3 which have caused problems for a lot of components (not just VM), it is supposed to have been fixed now. There have also been speed issues with J3, but VM3.0.2 has addressed those problems and now it is less worrying. The main problem with using J3 at the moment is that not all third party developers have updated their plugins for the new version.

The VM developers currently have a commitment to continue to support Joomla 2.5 and VirtueMart 2.6  (see Report bugs paragraph on  http://extensions.virtuemart.net/support/virtuemart-supporter-membership-detail
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Milbo

Well spoken Jenkinhill

Quote from: Troels_E on December 18, 2014, 11:24:52 AM
Regarding being ready for prime time.
Currently we don't even have an EPAY payment (Danmark) module for VM3 ready, so for now it's still useless to us. I really wonder how much work it is to update a VM2 module to VM3...

EPAY module, Pakkelabels.dk integration, GLS and Post Danmark integration seems to be missing at the moment. Naturally I have contacted all to get things working on VM3:)

There is a doc available http://docs.virtuemart.net/tutorials/development/175-code-adjustments-for-virtuemart-3.html . If this does not help you, write a ticket here http://extensions.virtuemart.net/ticket
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

welrachid

Hello

Im also working on migrating a site from VM 2.6 (J2.5) to VM 3.0.2 with (J3.3.6).

One of my main concern so far has been to rewrite custom components. Im STILL not done with that. Currently having a HARD time rewriting a photoupload component and a special-made-calculator.

If you dont have any custom components i would consider using akeeba backup tool to make a backup, and then on a restricted test-site try to make a upgrade. Then "check things out there".
Best regards,
Wel