News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

Full installer including Joomla 2.5 with VM3 needs cleaning up

Started by effengia, November 24, 2014, 17:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

effengia

Hi,

I've compared the results of 2 installations: 1) VM3 component installer executed via Joomla 2.5 Extension Manager and 2) Full installer including Joomla 2.5 with VM3. There is a set of strange differences, which could most probably mean that the full installer, which was previously used for VM2.6.12.2, was not properly cleaned up during its modification for VM3, and that VM3 component installer also has some small issues in installation scripts:

• administrator\components\com_virtuemart_allinone folder in first case contains unnecessary plugins folder with empty subfolders and index.html files only and in second case contains config.php and LICENSE.txt files (see attached com_virtuemart_allinone.jpg)
  • administrator\language folder in second case (full installer) contains all the unnecessary folders for not used languages (ar-AA, bg-BG ...) and old unnecessary language files for en-GB like en-GB.plg_vmcalculation_avalara.ini and en-GB.plg_vmpayment_....ini, which normally should appear only after installation of separate language packages
  • components\com_virtuemart folder in first case contains files router.php and controllers\vmplg.php with placeholders ${PHING.VM.COPYRIGHT} and ${PHING.VM.YEAR} correspondingly (instead of actual values as in second case), and in second case contains virtuemart_parser.php file, which does not exist in first case; there is also unnecessary empty com_virtuemart_allinone folder in components folder in first case (see attached com_virtuemart.jpg)
  • images\stories\virtuemart\manufacturer folder in first case contains manufacturersample file without extension jpg, but it is OK in second case; images\stories folder in second case contains virtuemart.png image, which does not exist in first case (see attached images.jpg)
  • language folder in second case (full installer) contains all the unnecessary folders for not used languages (ar-AA, bg-BG ...)
  • libraries\tcpdf folder and all its subfolders in first case contain index.html files, which are missed in second case
  • some subfolders of modules\mod_virtuemart_..., plugins\search\virtuemart and plugins\vm... folders in first case contain index.html files, which are missed in second case
  • problem with vmshipment plugin language file, which I described in my other post, exists in first case only
  • unnecessary (?) vmbeez5 template exists in second case only

There are also few problems in DB after execution of full installer as a result of not 100% correct installation\sql\mysql\joomla.sql file:

• records for com_virtuemart and com_virtuemart_allinone are not created in assets table
  • multiple differences in descriptions and various settings for VirtueMart records created in extensions, menu and modules tables comparing to the ones created by VM3 component installer
  • records for VirtueMart3 Update Site and VirtueMart3 AIO Update Site are not created in update_sites and update_sites_extensions tables

I also have one question: when do you plan to create the full installer package for Joomla 3?

Best regards,
Alexey
Effengia Team
http://effengia.com

effengia

There was a problem with multiple attachments to the first post, so I'll do it one by one

[attachment cleanup by admin]

effengia

The second image (com_virtuemart.jpg)

effengia

And the third one (images.jpg)

effengia

Milbo

Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Milbo

Quote from: effengia on November 24, 2014, 17:40:45 PM
There is a set of strange differences, which could most probably mean that the full installer, which was previously used for VM2.6.12.2, was not properly cleaned up during its modification for VM3,
Actually there was no Modification at all. So actually I am very pleased by your list. Thank you for that.

• administrator\components\com_virtuemart_allinone folder in first case contains unnecessary plugins folder with empty subfolders and index.html files only and in second case contains config.php and LICENSE.txt files (see attached com_virtuemart_allinone.jpg)
The subfolders are the rests of the copy action if you use the installer. No reason to remove them. Next time you use the installer, they are created again, with all the plugins and then copied. It is cleaner but not even worth to invest more than 5 minutes there. The config.php and license is from the Akeeba Live Updater, thanks is removed.

• administrator\language folder in second case (full installer) contains all the unnecessary folders for not used languages (ar-AA, bg-BG ...) and old unnecessary language files for en-GB like en-GB.plg_vmcalculation_avalara.ini and en-GB.plg_vmpayment_....ini, which normally should appear only after installation of separate language packages

old legacy. We left them at begin in the installer to provide the users directly with different languages. Thank you, I am going to remove that.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Milbo

Update pages also added now. Just left the asset table entry

Milbo

The asset table is created automatically if need. So I dont see a reason to add it manually.

effengia

Milbo,

It is nice that you found my notes useful. I was happy to help!

When do you plan to deploy the fixed installer for Joomla 2.5? What are the plans regarding full installer for Joomla 3?