Copying also Category and Manufacturer to child products

Started by balai, November 12, 2014, 13:23:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milbo

just remove the manual setting of the category to the children, it HAS already the category of the parent.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

balai

Quotejust remove the manual setting of the category to the children, it HAS already the category of the parent.
Thanks Max

What needed is a bit more complex than that.

In big shops, there is a need to filter products by  several criteria (category/manufacturer/price/custom fields, etc)
For example somebody needs to find the red Nike t-shirt in Small size
Usually this is a child product, though the T-shirt is a category, Nike is a manufacturer and the size and colors are custom fields.
Missing those fields means that it cannot be tracked (at least not the easy way). This can be handled by assigning all those fields to the child products as you inidicated.
The problem if we assign all those fields to the child products, is that they are always being displayed after a selection of a category or a manufacturer from the menu and not when we want them after a filtering or search.

Hope to be more clear now, why this setting about the parent product is in need

Studio 42

Hi,
I think the simpliest solution is a setting in VM config : Never show children in standard search results.
When active, at the moment you have a parent, this get not displayed, having categories, manufacturer or not.

And a toggler in the model for programmers.
This mean if you set categorie tshirt, using Never show children in standard search results , a childs are not displayed in category view even if chidren have categories set.
But you can set manually (show children) in your search filters to look for children in this(your) case.

I don't know if anyone understand what i mean :)

balai

Is there any chance for this to be implemented?
It is really important for big shops