News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

Free Shipping Exclusions

Started by dfin, October 29, 2014, 17:04:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dfin

I'm needing to add a new Shipping Method to what I have now...Free Shipping (built-in method) for an X dollar amount given, and a UPS plugin to charge by weight.

All works well, except a tried adding a 3rd Shipping Method for "Excluded items" . I made product weight high, made the new rule for a weight range (high & higher), but it don't show in the cart......just other 2 accordingly to their rules.

Because what I need is when it knows order is Free, I want the certain items to still be hit with a fee.

Any advise?

And, which pages are the ones to edit code for the shipping being calculated by the cart ...there's the ones in the vmshipment folder, but what about others?
I have VirtueMart 2.6.6 & I manually updated for 2.6.10  |  Joomla 2.5.28 | Php 5.4.27

dfin

...... Has anyone ran across a situation where you are selling a lot of products & have free shipping set to $XX.XX, but don't want lets say 'the baby items' qualify for the free shipping?

Surely someone has.
I have VirtueMart 2.6.6 & I manually updated for 2.6.10  |  Joomla 2.5.28 | Php 5.4.27

wyvernsrose

I am looking for something Similar.....

I need products from one Manufacturer to carry free shipping...so specific by product manufacturer or Category...

I don't want Downloadable Products to carry a shipping fee either....

BUT I need a number of Products from another Manufacturer to be Calculated using the Australia Post API....

and Would love a Courier API as well but the few options available are messy and wont allow you to select a courier instead allowing the customer to select a courier service....and the Conditions of the Courier Extension if any kicking in would be if a particular product or Product by manufacturer exceeded a particular Quantity......i.e. Physically Larger Items in Quantities higher than 2 or 3.....

and its application would still need to be attached to a specific category or Manufacturer.......I have it Semi functional using ridiculously insignificant weights.....its excluding the free postage Items from shipping calculation but the Aus Post app is messy and shows in cart even when it doesn't apply. but really id prefer something that actually works and is Clean and can handle a mixed cart a little better.....

Mind you this option leaves us completely Unable to Utilize fully dimensions and weight fields of products which are dropshipped....

That is the catch because I need to use an API to calculate rates for Aus post it trips it up...

Realistically the structure for most shipping extensions is completely 4$$ backwards.....

even if we could assign/Select a shipping module or option per category manufacturer or group it would be preferrable to the Shipping across the store approach.....calculated according to weight ranges region or price...

and DONT suggest Shipping Pro.....Been there tried it and it doesn't do the job.....

GJC Web Design

shipping per category or group or what ever has often been discussed .. it normally falls down on what happens with a mixed cart of two or more say different cats?

Everyone has a different idea as to what should happen -  (I know - I have coded a couple) - and to release a plugin that would even begin to cover what you describe above would make it useless for just about everyone else - i.e un-saleable therefore no one is interested in financing it.
GJC Web Design
VirtueMart and Joomla Developers - php developers https://www.gjcwebdesign.com
VM4 AusPost Shipping Plugin - e-go Shipping Plugin - VM4 Postcode Shipping Plugin - Radius Shipping Plugin - VM4 NZ Post Shipping Plugin - AusPost Estimator
Samport Payment Plugin - EcomMerchant Payment Plugin - ccBill payment Plugin
VM2 Product Lock Extension - VM2 Preconfig Adresses Extension - TaxCloud USA Taxes Plugin - Virtuemart  Product Review Component
https://extensions.joomla.org/profile/profile/details/67210
Contact for any VirtueMart or Joomla development & customisation

wyvernsrose

Quote from: GJC Web Design on November 15, 2014, 12:03:38 PM
shipping per category or group or what ever has often been discussed .. it normally falls down on what happens with a mixed cart of two or more say different cats?

TBH that sounds like a fundamental Database design issue.....

I found his Gin....wasnt much left though

wyvernsrose

Quote from: wyvernsrose on November 16, 2014, 06:24:59 AM
Oh sorted the Mixed cart messy issue....using the 0 weight for free shipping method.......

scrap that im back to using weights......... I need a stiff drink

*sigh I miss the days of XOOPs and coppermine when they were in infancy......every hack was a new break through .......

wyvernsrose

Quote from: GJC Web Design on November 15, 2014, 12:03:38 PM

Everyone has a different idea as to what should happen -  (I know - I have coded a couple) - and to release a plugin that would even begin to cover what you describe above would make it useless for just about everyone else - i.e un-saleable therefore no one is interested in financing it.

slap me if im just sleep deprived and on a ridiculous tangent and weight units means NOTHING....

because regardless of unit used its converted to some universal value....

but would using Pounds for one type ounces for another kilo gramme etc......work to differentiate.....?? just wondering aloud here.....and remember im in no fit state to think....I think I might swipe my husbands gin ......yep thats a good idea....

GJC Web Design

How is this a 'TBH that sounds like a fundamental Database design issue.....' ?

you have cat1 - all prods ship free
cat2 - all prods ship on a weight/price
cat3 - all prods ship on a different weight/price

a cart with a mix of 3 of the above - what do u want to see? 
Every shop owner will have a different take - just about anything is possible to code

so it is a philosophy problem  - but no ship plug builder is going to make a plugin on spec that is unsaleable

I built one here: https://www.escape-watersports.co.uk/

they have weight/price schema different for various weights that the arbitrarily assign to products

their schema is->

UK Delivery
Free delivery is available over £49 on most of our items but due to their size there is no free delivery on Canoes, Kayaks, SUPs and Sit on Tops.

Our delivery charges are clearly shown in the basket, there is no need to register to see them.

Deliveries of larger items such as Canoes, Kayaks, SUPs, Sit on Tops, Paddles, Inflatables etc. to the Isle of Man, Northern Ireland, Ireland, Isle of Wight, Scilly Isles, Channel Islands and the Scottish Highlands & Islands will incur extra charges which will be applied in the basket once your postcode has been entered.

If you require clarification of a shipping price please place the items in the basket, charges if any will be applied and clearly shown once your postcode has been entered.

International Orders
Free delivery is available over £99 on most of our items but due to their size there is no free delivery on Canoes, Kayaks, SUPs, some Paddles and Sit on Tops.
Once you have selected your items and put them in the basket, choose your delivery country and a shipping cost will appear.

But this is obviously a hand carved plugin and my chances of defraying my costs by selling more is obviously null.
GJC Web Design
VirtueMart and Joomla Developers - php developers https://www.gjcwebdesign.com
VM4 AusPost Shipping Plugin - e-go Shipping Plugin - VM4 Postcode Shipping Plugin - Radius Shipping Plugin - VM4 NZ Post Shipping Plugin - AusPost Estimator
Samport Payment Plugin - EcomMerchant Payment Plugin - ccBill payment Plugin
VM2 Product Lock Extension - VM2 Preconfig Adresses Extension - TaxCloud USA Taxes Plugin - Virtuemart  Product Review Component
https://extensions.joomla.org/profile/profile/details/67210
Contact for any VirtueMart or Joomla development & customisation

wyvernsrose

Quote from: GJC Web Design on November 16, 2014, 11:16:05 AM
How is this a 'TBH that sounds like a fundamental Database design issue.....' ?

you have cat1 - all prods ship free
cat2 - all prods ship on a weight/price
cat3 - all prods ship on a different weight/price

because while weight/Price are factors used to Calculate shipping rates they shouldn't be used to determine method of shipping and which calculation applies....is a level missing......it is what makes it so messy......

I am referring to Virtuemart Structural issue not your Shipping Extension.....that works...I just need to get it working for "this" thanks for your help earlier with that BTW Great customer service *thumbs up* but ye overall its alot more complex than Australia post.....

love my country but ATM politically its a mess.....

mind you if courier/shipping was made a product attribute using a Custom Field for Items requiring Courier Services.....Which is Certainly Doable with Startrack prepaid packs....

reinhold

At least the "Free shipping is only given if no Baby items are ordered" part can be easily handled with my "Advanced shipping by Rules" plugin:
http://open-tools.net/virtuemart-2-extensions/vm2-advanced-shipping-by-rules-plugin.html

The corresponding rule would be (assuming baby items are category 1234, and free shipping for orders of 100€ and above):
Name=Free Shipping; Amount>=100; not(1234 in Categories); Shipping=0

Instead of not(...) you could also use Condition=contains_none(Categories, 1234)"".

The part about shipping costs for the non-free items really depends on the details. I'm working on a version 5.0 of the plugin, where you can do calculations based on weight/price/dimensions/etc. per category (i.e. not per product, but total weight/price/dimensions/etc. of all purchased articles in a given category). The current version 4.3 of the plugin is not able to make calculations at the category level, though.

Best regards,
Reinhold

wyvernsrose

hmmm it's not your Auspost ext im using after all....its another....but I may yet be looking at yours the Euro makes it prohibitive though brings it up to $60

wyvernsrose

mind you if courier/shipping was made a product attribute using a Custom Field for Items requiring Courier Services.....Which is Certainly Doable with Startrack prepaid packs....

IT WORKS!!!!

YES....we can display fixed price shipping per State and incorporate it in the Product as a Variant.....thank God this Site is Aus only and not international.....

Gin Diazapam and 4 hours sleep is AWESOME!

Oh I should Explain......I am using 0 Weight method to Exclude Free Shipping Items but with a .1 gramme Upper weight limit, Badges to Identify free shipping Items....Aus Post to Cover anything with Weights. .1-.2 Gramme Specification for Shipping Rate Included Items.......

it works......*happy dance* im gonna go have a smoke

Now all we need is for Aust Post shipping prices to be displayed on the product......but nah thats too hard basket atm got other stuff to do