Virtuemart 3 and custom fields, custom fields values

Started by kgrzybowski, September 22, 2014, 11:20:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kgrzybowski

Hello,
I've got around 150 000 products in my shop and almost 50 different cutom fields. Of course not all products have all 50 custom fields assigned, one product can have 5 custom fields and another 35, but the point is that in #__virtuemart_product_customfields I have exactly 1256798 rows (yes, 1 million 300k), I think I don't have to say this, but yes, it's a hughe pain due to large table (backups, selects, custom field filtering etc.). So here's the question, will be in VM3 custom fields improved by using some xref table like it's in media tables or category tables? I mean, all these custom fields values are repeating hundreds of times (as categories for example), so why just don't make it the right way - create some customfield value and then just assign id of that value to products? Will it be fixed in VM3?

Best regards,
Chris

balai

Hi Chris

If you are looking for something like that, you can check the "Custom Fields For All" plugin
http://breakdesigns.net/extensions/customfields-for-all

Each value is stored only once and it's unique id used for the assignment. Plus the filtering is much lighter and faster

kgrzybowski

Hi balai,
thanks for reply, yeah, I even have customfilters from breakdesigns.net and had subscription there. To be honest it's quite good solution, probably the best, but for manual adding products. I'm using csvimproved because of large number of products in my shop, as I remember I couldn't import product customfields while using Custom Field For All, but maybe I'm wrong.

Best regards,
Chris

balai

Hi Chris

Of course you can use CSVI with custom fields for all.
Look at the Features section of the product, it is clearly stated

kgrzybowski

I think I'll give it a try, I guess I'll need to make some changes to present custom fields, I just have enought of this native custom fields handling. Thanks!

Milbo

It would be nice you test vm3, to give us ideas how to enhance it.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member