News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

Link to external URL images - Please give it back!

Started by old_fritz, September 19, 2014, 15:20:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

old_fritz

Joomla! 2.5.24
VirtueMart 2.6.10

Hi there developers,

I searched the forum for: "external url image"
Just with that phrase I get 13 hits from the start.
So seems to be some kind of need to solve that requirement of the users.

Means:
People would like to have back, the possibility to link the product image (in product creation process) from an external URL-source.
In particular to fulfill the trend of slim pages to keep capacity small, expacially if you use VM as a catalog of thousands of products.
Really, VM2 should handle that, without any sort of custom code. That´s a basic!

This functionaltiy was already well done in VM1.
So why did you steal that away. In common, software should be an evolution in forward direction ( beside win 8 ;) ).

I know you can catch that with a workaround, and write some skript to use another field to show up that image.
But that´s not the reason for ordinary users to choose joomla or any cms to work with.
They´re no programmers and they´re don´t want to be.

No one expects that you do have a solution for any individual task.
But please avoid to throw away some very essential
& neat functionalty which worked in the past pretty good.

Is there a plan to give it back to the mob?
;)

jjk

This feature is still there - labeled 'URL' in the Product Information tab. I know a shop running on VM 2.6.10 that makes heavy use of it.
Non-English Shops: Are your language files up to date?
http://virtuemart.net/community/translations

Milbo

I am happy if someone writes a patch doing it. It was not intended to remove it.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

old_fritz

jjk, I think you misunderstood (maybe I did explained unclear) my problem.

However, it´s not about a link to proccess to another page ( I already do that by this url field in the info-tab).
It works like a charm.

But I am talking about product images from 3rd party, which should link to my page.
So I don´t want that VM takes the images from my server. It should take it from an external path.

You have to fill in the URL-fields at the "Product Image Tab" .
If you put in external path - it simply doesn´t take it.

old_fritz

Thanks Milbo for your honest statement.
Good to hear!  :)

I really hope that there´s a clever mind out there, who let it happen!
Thanks in advance!

Milbo

Actually it works, if you set it directly in the db. the problem is more how to handle the thumbs.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

old_fritz

May I missunderstood your suggestion wrong,
but I have thousands of images, which are imported through the csvi component automatically with a cronjob once a day.

I really can´t manually set the external url-path for each in the db.

GJC Web Design

but doesn't csvi write directly to the database?

try changing one url to fully qualified on a 1 line import
GJC Web Design
VirtueMart and Joomla Developers - php developers https://www.gjcwebdesign.com
VM4 AusPost Shipping Plugin - e-go Shipping Plugin - VM4 Postcode Shipping Plugin - Radius Shipping Plugin - VM4 NZ Post Shipping Plugin - AusPost Estimator
Samport Payment Plugin - EcomMerchant Payment Plugin - ccBill payment Plugin
VM2 Product Lock Extension - VM2 Preconfig Adresses Extension - TaxCloud USA Taxes Plugin - Virtuemart  Product Review Component
https://extensions.joomla.org/profile/profile/details/67210
Contact for any VirtueMart or Joomla development & customisation

AH

I do not see why you would need to use CSVI if it is just an update to already existing products.

You could write the required MySQL code to update the databse with the new images insteade of going through CSVI

The run it as a cron job??

Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0

old_fritz

Thanks for your idea GJC Web Design.
I will check that with Roland from CSVI first!

Never the less, I highly appreciate Milbos appeal to create a patch for it.
That would be the solution, like it should be.

old_fritz

Hutson, unfortunately it´s not just the refresh of the images, which is to be done by the cronjob.
I use CSVI also to replace categories from the 3rd party supplier into my own one.
Also I have additional custom fields which are proccessed and attached to the csv data.

I really had no idea how to do that manually. Like I told, I am just an ordinary user, who don´t fall to much in love with scripting.
Don´t get paid to advertise CSVI  >:( , but I really highly recommend that component for it´s comfortable use with it´s mighty functionality!!!

old_fritz

GJC Web Design Roland from CSVI told me, that he already tried that and it will show the remote image. But he get an error in the backend when editing the product, because VM can't create a thumbnail out of it. In the frontend the large image is used as a thumbnail and scaled down via CSS.
So basicly same analysis of problem Milbo supposed.

It seems in order to get a conflict free solution, it alwasy come back to the patch idea.