News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

Upgrade from VM 1.1.9 to 2.x?

Started by tasgray, September 14, 2014, 10:03:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tasgray

Hi Everyone,

I'm a Joomla novice looking for some advice on upgrading a client's site from Joomla 1.5 & VM 1.1.9 to Joomla 3.3.

The client site has been compromised a few times and as a result they very keen to upgrade. I'd like to migrate the site from Joomla 1.5 to 3.3, skipping 2.5. After researching the migration path for VirtueMart, I discovered that there's no current release that works with Joomla 3.3. As I see it, there are two options available -

1. Leave the site as it is and wait for VM 3 - is there an official release date on this?
2. Upgrade to Joomla 3.3 and install VM 2.9.9b.

Ideally option 2 would be best, but I am hesitant because it's a release candidate and not a stable release. From what I can gather there are some sites using it already, but I am still unsure. When VM 3 is released, how much work will be involved in upgrading from 2.9.9b?

Interested to hear from others in the same situation.

Many thanks,

Tas

jenkinhill

If you are well skilled then you could migrate to 2.9.9b now and fix any issues that arise BUT if you use any third party plugins you will need to be sure that they have a Joomla3 version available.

Best advice is to migrate now to J2.5.24 VM2.6.10 to get the site secure. Going from 2.6.10 to 3 is easy, and migration J2.5 to J3.x is not difficult.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum