News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

Clarification needed..

Started by NathanPOL, September 09, 2014, 16:00:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NathanPOL

Here's our situation, we have a site running Joomla 1.5.26 and Virtuemart 1.1.3, and after reading the description and features of the VirtueMart 2 migrator it would appear we can quite easily jump from our current versions to the most recent stable version of Joomla 2.5 with Virtuemart 2.6.8, but the Virtuemart 2 Migrator also has in the features listed "Available in Joomla Version 3" & "Available in Virtuemart Version 3", which I appreciate isn't out yet but does lead me to ask a question I need clarification on, hence the topic title.

Can I wait until a stable version of Virtuemart 3 is out, and then migrate my entire site (which is only Joomla articles, modules and Virtuemart) to Joomla 3.x and Virtuemart 3?
Without making any changes to the site?

If changes do need to be made before the process, which changes?
Perhaps I have the wrong end of the stick but it does appear too good to be true..

jenkinhill

I would not go to VM2.9.9b (the latest VM3 RC) immediately from VM1.1 too many jumps! I'd use the Daycounts Migrator to migrate to J2.5/VM2.x first. Get Joomla template etc sorted and then test update VM to the latest RC or to VM3 if released by then. VM3 is compatible with J2.5 and J3, but as yet only a few 3rd party VM extensions have been made compatible with J3. 

You may need uo update the old VM versions to 1.1.9 before migration to 2.

Of course, don't do any of this on a live site!
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

NathanPOL

Gosh, so it's as simple as that huh..

Well in that case I'll wait until stable versions are available, thanks very much for the advice.

How can I first test the procedure to see if it all checks out with my website without actually using the live site?
Would you be able to point me in the direction of any documentation or guides I could use to aid me in my endeavor?

Thanks again for the speedy response.

jenkinhill

It is not that simple! I worry though when you say
How can I first test the procedure to see if it all checks out with my website without actually using the live site?

You should do that in the same way that you should test every Joomla/Component update - by using a backup copy of the live site.  I found the Joomla 1.5 to 2.5 migration takes longer to sort out than the VM migration.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum