News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

Uploading Edited Product Photos

Started by scottshort, August 18, 2014, 11:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottshort

Hello all,  I have a small problem that is driving me crazy :o :o :o

I have uploaded a product photo only to discover that it has some flaws and requires further editing.  I edit the photo and attempt to re-upload the photo... but original flawed photo continues to show!!.  Here are the steps that I have taken but without success of getting rid of original photo.  I have the same problem with category photos as well.  Note that in an attempt to keep some semblance of order in this product image folder, I am trying to NOT change to file names [i.e. I want to keep the name of "Product A Photo 1" the same as original photo and edited photo]

• First I delete the photo from the product and save the product with no image
  • Second I go into the media manager and delete the original product photo
  • Third I go back to the product and upload the newly edited file again [same file name - and same unique file name]and save product
  • Fourth I go to browser and clear cookies and cash

RESULT- STILL SEE ORIGINAL FLAWED PHOTO.

Any explanation as to why Virtuemart is still showing image file that has been deleted???  Is there a special cache clearing function within VirtueMart???  I am seeing the same old image on multiple browsers.
Thanks for any help!
Best Regards,
Scott

Live site Joomla 2.5.24; PHP 5.3.28; VM 2.0.24a
Testing VM 2.6.0; 2.6.6

GJC Web Design

just tested this and I don't get the problem you describe - even though the "new" image has the identical file name as the old  - when replaced I see the new image (still with same file name)
Note  - in Firefox this is so

In Chrome (notorious for hard caching) it required the local browser cach to be emptied - must be a local issue for you as well
have you checked what file is actually in your images folder after the change?
GJC Web Design
VirtueMart and Joomla Developers - php developers https://www.gjcwebdesign.com
VM4 AusPost Shipping Plugin - e-go Shipping Plugin - VM4 Postcode Shipping Plugin - Radius Shipping Plugin - VM4 NZ Post Shipping Plugin - AusPost Estimator
Samport Payment Plugin - EcomMerchant Payment Plugin - ccBill payment Plugin
VM2 Product Lock Extension - VM2 Preconfig Adresses Extension - TaxCloud USA Taxes Plugin - Virtuemart  Product Review Component
https://extensions.joomla.org/profile/profile/details/67210
Contact for any VirtueMart or Joomla development & customisation

scottshort

Hi GJC!  Thanks so much for taking the time to respond to my post  :D.  I really appreciate it.

Using primarily firefox here.

I am very new to managing our online shop - site is new finally online after many many months of development - but very few products so I have a lot of work ahead of me.  I just discovered that there is a second file folder under category and product called  "resized" with another image [thumbnail I assume] that was still showing up.  Since I was trying to change the category picture over and over again I kept seeing this thumbnail that had never been deleted...  So now I understand that I must delete the images in the main folder as well as the resized folder to completely get rid of the old image and thumbnail, and then can upload and save using edited file.

Can I ask you a related question?  What is your procedure in this case when you have to edit a file and upload it?  Is there a simpler way to overwrite the original files without having to delete them from the media manager?  When trying this in the past I recall ending up with multiple copies [different versions] of the same image with slightly different names which is a disaster in trying to keep things in order, don't you agree?  In the screen shot you can see that I have selected the "upload" option when uploading these images and the only other thing I add is a "unique file name" so when you hover over the image you can see this name.  I do this as I load many different views [standardized] of the same product and want to keep all of these images orderly.  I see next to the upload button one called "replace" and one called "replace thumb".  They both sound like common sense, but in the past I must not have used them correctly as I recall not having success.  Could you explain if these options would do what I am trying to do and what the correct procedure is to make them work so I could upload and replace an existing image file and its thumbnail without the extra steps of having to manually delete the files in the joomla media manager? 

Lastly, Are you aware of any good tutorials on product upload and image management?  For example, I thought is was common sense that in my "product" folder, I could create subfolders for each product type so that I can keep order as the number of my product images grow... but I could never seem to figure out how to change the upload path to a subfolder of the products folder... my web guys are not VM experts by any means and just gave me the response that I must keep all product images under the product folder and live with the ensuing mess and confusion that it will be creating...  hope that is not true and disappointed if it is.   So I am looking to this forum for more insight than my web guys can provide me....

I also would like to know how I can be sure that my safe path is actually working... I was getting errors that it wasn't set up and so I insisted with my web guys that we do it... now it is there but not sure if all these product images are being saved to this location... isn't that what this safe path is for??? 

Thank you again for any assistance you can offer..

[attachment cleanup by admin]
Best Regards,
Scott

Live site Joomla 2.5.24; PHP 5.3.28; VM 2.0.24a
Testing VM 2.6.0; 2.6.6

GJC Web Design

safe path is only for your invoices..

images will always be in the folder you set in your VM config - no subfolders
default is images/stories/virtuemart/products
thumbs are in a subfolder of the above /resized
will have a look tomorrow if I get time as to what exactly replace does
GJC Web Design
VirtueMart and Joomla Developers - php developers https://www.gjcwebdesign.com
VM4 AusPost Shipping Plugin - e-go Shipping Plugin - VM4 Postcode Shipping Plugin - Radius Shipping Plugin - VM4 NZ Post Shipping Plugin - AusPost Estimator
Samport Payment Plugin - EcomMerchant Payment Plugin - ccBill payment Plugin
VM2 Product Lock Extension - VM2 Preconfig Adresses Extension - TaxCloud USA Taxes Plugin - Virtuemart  Product Review Component
https://extensions.joomla.org/profile/profile/details/67210
Contact for any VirtueMart or Joomla development & customisation