duplicate canonical url on manufacturer category page

Started by GuidoS, August 05, 2014, 17:27:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjk

Quote from: sandstorm on January 11, 2015, 20:37:21 PM
Will overriding the SEF plugin file as suggested by "JJK" stop canonicals showing for other areas of the normal Joomla site, i.e articles, etc?
Yes, but when I tested the workaround with my own site, my version of Joomla (3.4dev nightly build) didn't add canonical urls into the headers of my Joomla content articles anyway. So in my case it looked like I don't have multiple urls for Joomla articles on my website. It doesn't make any sense to always add canonical urls, even if there are no multiple urls pointing to the same content. That's not what the canonical tag is designed for. Just test your website by looking at the source code of your frontpage content with/without the override in order to decide if it works for you.

I think when the Joomla developers introduced that in Joomla 3, they forgot to take into account shopping cart and forum extensions.
(A similar thing happend with the pagination. Shopping cart and forum extensions using Joomla 3.3.6 are suffering from a broken pagination)

I didn't test GJC's suggestion yet.

Non-English Shops: Are your language files up to date?
http://virtuemart.net/community/translations

sandstorm

Quote from: jjk on January 11, 2015, 21:50:34 PM
Yes, but when I tested the workaround with my own site, my version of Joomla (3.4dev nightly build) didn't add canonical urls into the headers of my Joomla content articles anyway.

Apologies confused now (It doesn't take much ;) )
Should I test with J3.4 & VM 3.0.3 first before using any workarounds?
J3.6.4 / PHP7.0.12
VM3.0.16

jjk

You may apply the suggestion from GJC Web Design either in Joomla 3.3.6 or 3.4.dev. It seems to work. However, with Joomla 3.3.6 the pagination doesn't work correctly. I've choosen the simple method to temporarily comment out the single line
$doc->addHeadLink(htmlspecialchars($link), 'canonical');
although it removes the Joomla canonical completely. (I think I don't have duplicate Joomla content anywhere, so I consider the Joomla canonical useless in my case)

I didn't test suggestion from balai yet.

You wouldn't have this problem at all if you use J2.5.28/VM3.0.3.

Non-English Shops: Are your language files up to date?
http://virtuemart.net/community/translations

2cool

Hi There,

Just noticed my category pages show error in seo: page not indexable because this page has canonical url set to:  category/manufacturer/ ???
How can this be fixed? using lastest joomla 3.4.0 and vm 3.0.4.

Thanks,

Pas