News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

Faceted navigation

Started by user_fra, June 28, 2014, 12:11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

user_fra

Hi, I need to introduce a faceted navigation in a J2.5 + VM2 site, in few words I need items menu that search articles and products (together) with a specific features (target, purpose).

An example could be a wines shop.

I could write some articles about white wines and some others for red wines, one of this articles could talk about red and white wines, so it should be present in both categories.

So, first I should have a multicategories choice where to place the articles, and some articles might be in both categories.

I can have the same situation for VM products, 2 or more categories (red wines, white wines, wine for fish, wine for cakes, and so on). Everything is now doable using different extensions, but I didn't find a solution that includes both features, I mean I'd like to have an item menu Red wines able to show a list (links) of joomla articles (in Joomla category) and a list (links) of products in VM category Red wines, all in the same page (module?).

Is there a way to realize this using Joomla, VM options + an existing extension?

I was searching in Jed but I wasn't able to find anything (free or not).

Thank you, best regards.
Francesco

jenkinhill

Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

user_fra

Thank you jenkinhill, I just wrote to the breakdesign developer before posting here :-)

I have read the post you indicated to me, unfortunatly it seems only at the end there is something about future project, talking about keywords search. I already contacted a couple of extensions developers, but it seems a little bit complex to create what I need. It is a pitty that only few web site creators use faceted navigation, it is a very good and useful way to let users easily find contents that meet their needs. Breakdesigns extensions are perfect for VM, but it could be a great jump ahead to have an extension that let you create items menu working with articles and products.  Maybe something already exists in Jed, but I was not able to find it. I was also thinking to use 2 different extensions, something like an item menu for articles and then a module with products to assign only at that item menu page.

Do you think it could be possible?
Thank you

Regards
Francesco