News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

Spam on Virtuemart 2 Rating system

Started by escozul, April 21, 2014, 10:47:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

escozul

My website at www.coffeelife.gr is attacked by spammers. Namely the ratings system is affected. However that is really strange as I have disabled the ratings system for non users.

Let me describe the issue in detail:

I keep receiving emails about a new review on specific products. Only 2-3 are affected. The same 2-3 products keep popping up emails about new reviews. However No review is submitted... Just the notifications are sent! If you log in as a regular user you can post a review just fine! Those spam generated reviews are really annoying and can't really track them down as they are never really registered (I suppose they are generated by non users somehow and that's why they leave no trace).

Their frequency is more and more dense and so I believe that they will soon flood my inbox. So I need to do something fast.

The truth is that the review system is the only part I have not Captcha enabled. The reason is that I could not find a way to enable captcha on the review system. I use keycaptcha throughout the site and it doesn't work for the review system of virtuemart. I thought it would not be a problem once the review system is not available to non-users.

Could you help me out please? One of the information I might find helpful is to make the emails that notofy about a new review, contain more information like who made the review and the actual review text or rating. That might help to see if I have an illegitimate account registered.

Thank you

jenkinhill

Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

escozul

You are right. It's 2.0.26d

ReCaptcha is good, but is there a way to activate it only for the rating system? I want to keep keycaptcha for the rest of the site and since I can't enable keycaptcha for the ratings system, use recaptcha there...

jenkinhill

You can't activate it for the rating system. Enable Review System for Shoppers who bought the product should be enough to prevent spam.

VM2.6 is a hardened, more secure version, so as long as you have PHP5.3.10 or better then I suggest updating.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum