News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

Synchronizing User Groups and Shopper Groups

Started by dallenTAG, March 20, 2014, 18:57:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dallenTAG

I have scoured the Internet for days and have not seen a single topic about this. Not even anyone asking the same question, which I find very odd. Basically here is my predicament:
I have a premium membership setup through RSmembership. When the user becomes premium, their user group changes. I want to be able to synchronize a users shopper group with their user group.

I understand that RSmembership plays a role here, but what I don't understand is why I can't find a single post or virtuemart plugin that deals with synchronizing shopper and user groups. I can't be the first one that has ever required this functionality right?

I understand if I need to write a custom module which does this, while hooking into onUserAfterSave, or after the user logs in, but I feel that there must be a plugin someone has already written for this.

Does anyone know of a plugin which synchronizes this data?

jenkinhill

AFAIK nobody has ever asked for such a thing before with RSmembership (whatever that is).  You will need to write a plugin/bridge to communicate between the two components.

There is a plugin for Community Builder to synchronise member registration, but that does not interract with shopper groups, except that anyone who registers in CB is automatically a member of the default shopper group, but that is normal for registration in VM.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

JeremyD

@dallenTAG I've just spent quite a bit of time looking for the same functionality without success. Actually rather gobsmacked that nobody's run across it before or built a plugin to do the job! Did you manage to find a solution?

@jenkinhill - it's not a plugin to work with RS membership as such which I'm looking for, but to synchronise Joomla user groups with VM shopper groups. Consider the scenario where you have multi-level membership based premium content upon your Joomla site (e.g a private club, or buyers' club etc) and as part of that membership you wish to provide preferential pricing / discounts etc in your store as a benefit of membership. Subscription and access to the site might be controlled by any of the subscription/membership components (including RS membership). These work by changing the Joomla group permissions of subscribers based on their subscription level / status. What I'm looking for is a plugin that will automatically modify a users shopper group when their Joomla group status changes.

There seem to be plenty of plugins that work the other way around, i.e. assigning shopper group members to Joomla groups, but not the other way around. Any ideas welcome!
DVisions
Dorset, UK.
www.dvisions.co.uk

Jakobaaa

Does anyone has news on this?

@JeremyD & @dallenTAG: did you find a solution?

I am currently in the same position as dallenTAG and am surprised that there is no plugin that allows you to change the shopper group if the joomla acl user group gets changed... which would be very useful for membership sites as mentioned.

If this really is non-existent than I would like to look into having it developped - any ideas who/where I should ask? how long it will take approx?

Jakobaaa