We need a reseller´s product cost/purchase price field in Virtuemart admin..

Started by Genius WebDesign, March 11, 2014, 08:24:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AH

I have resolved this business requirement by storing the cost of items over time in a separate database

Many store owners use a model where the Accounting software controls a greater part of this process as the e-commerce channel is often one of many sales channels.
Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0

jux

It would more than great, i think even crucial, to get this feature (that at my point should have been since the start)
Entering the price that we are buying the goods in order to know the margin VS final selling price in order to do a good report is crucial.
Prestashop, Magento, Hikashop... all are having this possibility which what i have seen but not VM which is a lack
I had one clients that point out this fact and prefer to use an another component that VM because of this point
I love VM and supporting it for many years now and will not stop here
Therefore as this feature is ask since 2012 (from the forum history) could you please now consider this important fact?.

Thank you very much

jenkinhill

My clients have always used the base price as their purchase price. Simple.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

AH

Jenkin

I refer you back to the beginning of this thread and why a separate cost price might necessary for some businesses.

VM gets a net price in the base price for us.
Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0

sandomatyas

Studio 42

Quote from: sandomatyas on November 29, 2017, 22:47:35 PM
huhh, quite old thread but the topic is still actual :/
If this is not used to calculate the final price, you can add and use a simple customfield.

sandomatyas

I know but it's a bit hard to explain to the customer why he need to set two prices at two different places and why he can't see them next to each other :/

Jörgen

You can not avoid the need to set two prices, this is what You are asking for, right? You should add a field to the Product table and make an override for the backend edit Product / productstatus view. Adding a new field isn´t that hard. The back end is overridable in same way as the front end.

I myself use the text field on the first tab to make notes about when I order Products, how many, their price and when they are delivered into stock. It is enough for my needs and gives me flexibility and also a purchase history.

regards

Jörgen @ Kreativ Fotografi
Joomla 3.9.18
Virtuemart 3.4.x
Olympiantheme Hera (customized)
This reflects current status when viewing old post.

sandomatyas

Quote from: Jörgen on December 01, 2017, 07:58:04 AM
You can not avoid the need to set two prices, this is what You are asking for, right? You should add a field to the Product table and make an override for the backend edit Product / productstatus view. Adding a new field isn´t that hard. The back end is overridable in same way as the front end.

I myself use the text field on the first tab to make notes about when I order Products, how many, their price and when they are delivered into stock. It is enough for my needs and gives me flexibility and also a purchase history.

regards

Jörgen @ Kreativ Fotografi

Hi Jörgen

Thanks for your reply, you're right, it isn't hard but when I do this VM updates will override it or when I move modifications to template override I can't use the benefits of layout updates :)
My soltion was modify the layout via javascript and ajax which is loaded by a system plugin, it works well in other scenarios (eg adding custom background images per category or bind VM categories to Acymailing lists) but this time I should modify the storing mechanism too and I'm not sure if VM update won't remove the new table field too

AH

sandomatyas

Your requirement is one I have had for many years and solved by simply adding a table field and then creating an override to existing admin product views.

Please read this thread.

http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=137418.msg481235#msg481235

QuoteI'm not sure if VM update won't remove the new table field too

Yes you will need to apply your table update to every release you deploy BUT - that should take you all of a minute and VM does not remove your database table entry.

Ensure you give the table field a name that someone else in VM will not use in the future :-)

Here is what it might look like - in \administrator\components\com_virtuemart\tables\products.php

var $layout = '';
       /** @var int published or unpublished */
var $published = 1;

/** sando new variables */
    var $sando_cost_price = null;

Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0

Milbo

Quote from: jenkinhill on September 30, 2014, 21:14:11 PM

The reason I call it "costprice" and that is also the reason that the "baseprice" is uneditable. It is also the reason that you can set a currency, it is the currency of the costprice!

So I wonder now, what is actually missing? editable baseprice?
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

jenkinhill

By baseprice I was referring to cost price - I guess I did not catch up with the label change, but it is always the topmost price in the price table.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

Studio 42

Quote from: Milbo on December 03, 2017, 10:27:03 AM
Quote from: jenkinhill on September 30, 2014, 21:14:11 PM

The reason I call it "costprice" and that is also the reason that the "baseprice" is uneditable. It is also the reason that you can set a currency, it is the currency of the costprice!

So I wonder now, what is actually missing? editable baseprice?
I know the reason, my customers have same problem.
They have to check the real product costprice they paid if they need to change baseprice.
Eg  in France you cannot sell  a product < costprice.
If you know costprice and baseprice, you know how much you win
But you can have many other reason.

AH

QuoteBut you can have many other reason.

I chose to add a new field - not because of any flaw in VM

VM has been developed to support simple and flexible rules that allow for the cost price to be input into the cost price field and for a retail price to be calculated as a result of that.

These rules are extremely flexible and will suit many store owners.  If that fits your situation then that is definitely the way you should go to make your life simpler.

So why am I not using VM's pricing flexibility?

For some business the net price of items is calculated externally to VM so the flexibility VM offers is not required.

Prices can be loaded  to VM and no rules (other than sales taxation) are required.

For us Cost and Base prices are then the same, they are the net retail price.

But, as a result, the business could not see the price paid for items when using VM admin.

To facilitate this I added a new field - (you can name it what you like - for us it is the "Last Cost price we paid for the item")

Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0