News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

virtuemart for joomla 3+ ?

Started by treet, February 10, 2014, 23:22:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milbo

No, just wait until Monday or so and install the vm2.9, you could use vm2.1 to get an impression. First we release the vm2.5.2 as vm2.6 and then we concentrate on vm3 again.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

t68

Isn't it a very steep jump from current 2.0.26d to 2.5.2? Have I missed something?

Skickat från min HTC One via Tapatalk

treet

hello,
I think that is later that monday few weeks ago - did we have any new informations? What shoul I do now? What Joomla should I use for test ? I am still on 3.1.5...

regards

Milbo

Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

WmRickert

For anyone wondering what the answer is to the OP's question is.

VM for Joomla 3.x will not be released until Joomla 3.5 is released.

So for new development. VM is not an option at this time.

You'll just have to advise clients that they will need to choose a different cart system or use the legacy Joomla 2.5 version with VirtueMart 2.

Edit by Milbo:
Hey man, what do you tell for nonsense? VirtueMart 3 is already there and you can play with it. It will take not even 4 weeks for the first release candidate. I really wonder who told you this nonsense above and why do you think it is correct to spread lies against us?

jenkinhill

Joomla 2.5 is not legacy, it is a long term supported release of Joomla, and with the reported delay in the release of J3.5 it appears 2.5 will be supported into next year.

If you want to help with further development & bugfixing of VM2.9, the J3.x version then send Milbo a PM.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

WmRickert

Thank you for the offer.
Unfortunately I don't have any time.
40hrs + Freelance nights and weekends.

That is a great opportunity for the right person.

I didn't mean use legacy as a derogatory term.
It is still functional and stable by every right.
By legacy, I only meant that it is used on many existing sights but is not the current stable release.
There is no responsive template and no HTML 5 template built in Joomla 2.5 at this date that is legacy.
As a consultant, knowing that 40% of online retail is done using a mobile device, you have to admit that 2.5 is a legacy CMS unless a substantial framework is attached that is not supported by VM development.

Reference

Facts are facts. We can't deny them simply because we don't like them.

StefanSTS

Quote from: WmRickert on March 28, 2014, 19:50:03 PM
As a consultant, knowing that 40% of online retail is done using a mobile device, you have to admit that 2.5 is a legacy CMS unless a substantial framework is attached that is not supported by VM development.

Nothing easier than getting Joomla 2.5 and VM 2 running on a mobile device, you just need to make a good template. Once you have one template standing, you can replicate that for any other need. It is not magic.

Stefan
--
Stefan Schumacher
www.jooglies.com - VirtueMart Invoice Layouts

Please use only stable versions with even numbers for your live shop! Use Alpha versions only if you know what risk you are taking.

Milbo

Thank you for the offer.
Unfortunately I don't have any time.
40hrs + Freelance nights and weekends.
Only 40 hours. You have plenty of free time.

There is no responsive template and no HTML 5 template built in Joomla 2.5 at this date that is legacy.
Non serious webdeveloper is using the standard template. The normal way is anyway to buy a nice template. btw beez5 is the delivered standard template and using html5.

As a consultant, knowing that 40% of online retail is done using a mobile device,
The consultant who thinks that people use the example template. The same consultant who tells people that mobile abilities depends on the used php system.
Mobile abilities are mainly done by the template, regardless which CMS or Ecommerce system.

I really wonder who the gentle told people that being mobile ready is the responsibility of their used cms. I wonder since an half year that suddenly people ask for that. As long you are in the world of browsers the stuff is done by your view, which is written in html. No it is not PHP. PHP is an interpreter which writes the html for you.

Joomla 3 is by definition not stable for me. A system which has a big ecosystem like joomla cannot have a stable release maintained for 6 months. Do you would call a car with a garantee of 6 months stable? Why do they have joomla 3.0, 3.1 and so on? This are the Short Term Releases. The reason is that they want to experiment new ideas, API changes and similar. The idea is to implement something in j3.0 and to test it. If there are problems they enhance it, change it, remove it, whatever.

Take a look on Akeeba. The new versions are NOT compatible to j3.0 and j3.1 anylonger. Do you really want to setup a system which must be updated within the next 4-5 months? For serious people like us ecommerce guys a STR is nothing to consider seriously.

idezmax

jenkinhill

The first beta of J3.3 is due to be released April 1 - until this is available it is not possible to test VM2.1/9 or any other extensions on that version. As has been reported there is slippage on the release dates of Joomla versions, so although end of April is currently the proposed release of 3.3 stable, this be later than that.

In the meantime J2.5 is the only Joomla verion in LTS status, to be supported until at least the end of 2014. The  dates in this article are already wrong: http://docs.joomla.org/What_version_of_Joomla!_should_you_use%3F
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

kmeyer

Excuse me if this is the wrong place for this question...is there any update on the timetable for release of stable VM3 to work with Joomla 3.3.x? I'm committed to using Joomla 3.3.x for a new site, and would like some sense whether I need to abandon VM3 for a different solution as my desired go-live date approaches. Thanks for any info anyone can provide.

John2400

kmeyer that sounds great that you are looking to use VM 3 with Joomla.

Like the rest of us the timeline depends on the users. The more people that test the versions 2.9.+  the faster we get to to three.

* Please, I encourage you, like everyone, to look at a post that someone has written about version 2.9.+ and test issue

If you find a problem - write a post about it.. .

Everyone uses VM - in a different way.. some have different payment options, some shipping, some (variants - no longer the same name).

* I discover new problems and new solutions everyday.  VM is an ever evolving piece of software - like all software.

* I see an article about IPhones today - some bend in the middle, some cannot stand the hot temperatures of cars.. I bet Apple are now thinking they should have done a little more testing..

* At the moment  I am only a ( coupon short) of perfection for a shop I am trialing. - I think it is so close.

But I test all the options I can and encourage all to do the same.

kmeyer

Thank you for your encouragement, and yes I will post issues I find.

I understand that no software is bug-free. I was under the impression that 2.9.9b/c was a release candidate, and that an actual release would be forthcoming. Is that correct? If so, is anyone on the development team willing to risk a guess as to how many days/weeks/months are likely to pass before a release candidate is declared "golden"? Thank you again for your info.