News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

Product build from Products

Started by ronaldotto, January 23, 2014, 14:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ronaldotto

Is there any way to make the product selection so that you can make a cable select tool.

Thus:
i have 10 types of cable. Sold per meter
I have 60 types of connectors.

What i need is that the customer can create a cable.
So choose the type of cable, Give the length of that cabel and choose the connector for site one and one connector for the other site.

And the possibility to order, let's say 10 of those combinations.

Creating all possibilities as a product is not an option of course.

Can it be done with the current virtuemart options?

PolishedGeek

You should probably use Product Builder: http://breakdesigns.net/virtuemart-product-builder

If for some reason that does not suit your needs, we can build something custom for you that would handle this.
~ Deb Cinkus, CEO
Polished Geek, LLC   |    www.PolishedGeek.com

Creators of JoomLister - eBay Lister for Joomla!

ronaldotto

As far as i can see, productbuilder does not have the ability to let the customer order 10 or x of the created products.
It lets you make a product and than you have to do that x times if you want x of those products. Mostly not a problem but in this case it is.

PolishedGeek

Ah, ok. Do you need to keep track of stock for each individual component used to create the custom cables (meters of cable, number of connectors in stock, etc.)?
~ Deb Cinkus, CEO
Polished Geek, LLC   |    www.PolishedGeek.com

Creators of JoomLister - eBay Lister for Joomla!

ronaldotto

No, no stock is used in this case.

Tuckson

Hi,

I think this tread is the closest to what I am looking for myself.
In my country we have 2 VAT rates, 6 % for food and 21 % for non-food.We mainly sell handmade treats, children treat at school for example.
Since the package is in fact the mainproduct, but inside some candy is put, they both must be taxed their own way.
Under VM1, the only way we could do this was creating the product with every possible content as a product. Then we gave an all-in price and created the bill outside VM where both taxrates were specified.

I was hoping VM2 would offer a better solution.

What I did so far was: I created 2 categories, say a category 'treat' and a category 'fillings'
I created taxrules where the high rate is bound to the treat category and the low rate is bound to the fillings catagory.
So far so good. VM nicely calculates the costprices.

Now I put some products in the fillings catagory. These products should not be ordered seperately, but in combination with a product from the trat category.

So what I was hoping to find is that I could add a few products from the fillings category (not all, they must fit in) as mandatory option or modification to the product from the treat category. Advantage is I can use the same product over and over again and when price or specs change, I have to alter it only in 1 place.

Basically it is a n-to- n connection since 1 type of filling can be used in multiple treat and 1 type of treat can be used with different fillings.
I was hoping I could just add it to the treats?

I hope I made it a bit clear.

I will have a look to that productbuilder, but is there any other way this can be achieved?

Actually, When I order a computer with Dell or something, something similar happens. I order a basesystem and then can extend the system with several products like memory, other videocard, etc which all add tot the total of the price.

Only the VAT rules should be applied to the components and not to the endproduct as a whole.

Anybody has ideas on this?

edit:
Productbuilder looks nice and suits to the computer metaphore above.
However, I am not quite sure it suits the need. I want the treats to be listed just as regular VM products? And then only a dropdown or so, filled with some products from the filling category.

edit2:
I have been looking at the childproducts and the custom fields possibilities. What I see is that it is only possible to creata 1-to-1 relation. It would be nice to just be able to choose an existing product as child.
And then that it not replaces the parent, but is added to it.

Cheers,

balai

Hi

I am answering to your questions regarding Product Builder
Productbuilder looks nice and suits to the computer metaphore above.
However, I am not quite sure it suits the need. I want the treats to be listed just as regular VM products? And then only a dropdown or so, filled with some products from the filling category.

You can have a non editable product for every of your treats
and a group of products for your "fillings". You can use the products you like in each group.

If you want to do it more flexible for you and your clients, you can have 2 groups (treats and fillings) and use the compatibility system which comes with PB.
This way after a treat is selected, PB will display only the relative/compatible fillings. This way your users will be able to build the combinations which are compatible

Tuckson

What do you mean with non-editable product?

Is there somewhere a demo site available where i could have a look at it to see what you mean?

balai

A non-editable group is a group with only 1 product which cannot change.
Look at the 3rd image
http://breakdesigns.net/product-builder2-manual/167-using-the-component

What i am saying is that you can create multiple custom products/pages for each one of your "treats" and in each one, there will be 1 "treat" as non-editable.
There will be 1 more group (editable) for your "fillings"

If you have difficulties to understand the terminology, please look at the link i supplied