News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

Multlanguage product association help please!!!

Started by gucciguy, January 12, 2014, 17:02:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gucciguy

This is the first time I anm writing a post,so I hope it is in the correct place.My question is how to have product association done in a multilanguage site?I have my site in 2 languages,english and spanish....when viewing a product in language A and by clicking the flag of language B,instead of seeing the same product in language B,i get redirected to the homepage of language B.I tried to search around but couldnt find the solution to this issue,so therefore if some one may shed some light and tell me how to go around,I would much appreciate it.Thank you very much.I have my site properly configured for multilanguage and have the menus associated for both languages,its just for the products that I have this query.Thanks :)

gucciguy

PLease Moderators,can you move my post to VM2,as my Virtuemart is not 1.1.thank you.

jjk

In Joomla 2.5.x the language association works by assigning language tags to menu items. For a normal VM2 shop this means that you can't switch from one product description to it's counterpart in another language. If you change the language, the system will fall back to the next highest menu level it finds, which usually is a category browse view in your VM2 shop. You need a menu item associated for every menu item in the other language to be able to switch languages between categories. If not, Joomla will most likely redirect you to the homepage.

Afaik the possibility to associate items has been added to Joomla 3.1+. So it might become possible to switch languages between VM2 shop descriptions in future versions. If you want to do this in Joomla 2.5.x you would need a hidden menu item for each product in every language which is impractical.
Non-English Shops: Are your language files up to date?
http://virtuemart.net/community/translations

gucciguy

Thank you very much for the quick response,it would be nice if this feature was added in the future,I am sure there are many who do need this in a Multilanguage online shop when there are many products to show.Thanks a lot and lets hope in the future this is solved!:) :)