Author Topic: Adding Paypal as Payment Option in VM 1.1.6  (Read 1881 times)

SouthgateMaya

• Beginner
    • Southgate Coins
Adding Paypal as Payment Option in VM 1.1.6
« on: January 08, 2014, 00:03:12 am »
My site: www.southgatecoins.com
My Joomla version: 1.5.22
My PHP version: 5.2.17
My VM version: 1.1.6

Although I know this version of Virtuemart is no longer supported, it is the version I currently have on my website, and I am hoping someone is still familiar enough with it to assist me. My company is not interested in updating our website or shopping cart at this time, so I really need to work with what I've got. That being said, I want to make it as user friendly as possible for my customers.

After a recent stint selling on eBay (and subsequently deciding the fees are not worth the work involved), I am looking into adding PayPal as a payment option on my website, www.southgatecoins.com. I currently have Authorize.Net as a payment gateway, and would be looking to add PayPal (but not necessarily eliminate Authorize.Net if my customers do not have PayPal accounts).

I'm a novice at all things website-related, and although I know the "jist" is to add this as a payment option in VM, and then configure it to my PayPal account, I have some other questions.

• Will adding PayPal (not API) send my customers to PayPal to complete the transactions, and then back to my site when payment is complete? Can I set the page they return to, or is it automated?
  • Will I need to do anything to my checkout pages for this option to appear, or will it automatically update my checkout page? (Right now, when I add an item to my cart and click "Checkout," It takes me to a page that either has me log in to complete the order, or fill in my customer information to register--This is NOT the page on which you enter credit card information.)
  • How will adding PayPal affect my PCI-DSS compliancy?
  • In the Configuration section of Payment Methods, one of the options suggests Test Mode, however, when I click the link suggested in the test mode explanation, it no longer works. How can I know that PayPal is working correctly without this link being operable?
I sincerely do not want to do anything to mess up my currently-working site and shopping cart setup. I am really looking for a step-by-step "Adding PayPal to VM 1.1.6 for Dummies" tutorial to help me through this process.

If anyone is available to help me out with adding PayPal to my payment options, please let me know. I would really appreciate any assistance with configuring it and the questions I listed above.

Thank you,

Maya