News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

Displayed name field

Started by paulhazell, February 07, 2014, 11:48:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulhazell

I know it's a core field and cannot be removed (unless with an override), but can someone please explain to me the point of the displayed name field?
I really don't see the point of it and it just causes confusion when someone registers. I've lost count of the number of times someone has asked me what that field is for.
I'm sure someone will now point out exactly why it's there and i will look incredibly stupid but i just don't get it.

jenkinhill

That is equivalent to the "Name" field in Joomla registration eg Tom Smith

You can change the label text from Displayed Name to (for example) Your Name simply by making a language override for the constant COM_VIRTUEMART_USER_DISPLAYED_NAME
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

paulhazell

Ok thank you.....but there's already a first name and last name field so why exactly do we need another name field and why can that not be removed but the other name fields can?
I guess the answer is to disable the other first name field, rename the displayed name as first name and keep the other surname field....would that work?

jenkinhill

The displayed name is required by Joomla, the first/last name is used by VirtueMart for orders, invoices etc.  The fields have different uses. Some hide the Joomla Displayed Name and use JavaScript to copy the username into that field. I don't do that it is does not look good if you use Joomla's facility to email all users and the mails are not addressed to their real name.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

paulhazell

Ok thanks Kelvyn. So how do you get around the issue (if you've ever had it) of clients asking why they need to input their name twice effectively?
Do you relabel the displayed name as something else?
I'm just trying to get my head around this because every site i build i get the same question about this from the client like clockwork and i've never got a really good answer.

jenkinhill

I usually set sites up to require no registration and remove the Joomla registration fields from checkout. Te registration process is handled by the store admins if they only want to sell to selected customers (these are supplier to wholesaler sites) or small shops who don't wan't anything to stop their customers from buying.

For the few that have required registration I just change the field name to Your Name. Nobody has compalined.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

paulhazell

Ok but for the ones where they do require registration you then have 2 name fields, one you have renamed Your Name and the one before which is Username......that seems overly complicated and still has the issue of customers wondering why they need to put their name in twice.

paulhazell

Ignore my last post....obviously there is a distinction between username and your name so i have gone down that route.

Thanks for the info.