News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

Saving product descriptions in a second language has stopped working.

Started by WirelessBrain, September 10, 2013, 16:51:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WirelessBrain

Saving product descriptions in a second language has stopped working.
When I switch to the second language, make changes in the description and click save the page reloads to the default language and overwrites the original descriptions.
The product does not show up on the page when I switch languages and when I go back in to edit the product a second time I still get the message "No (xx-xx) translation in product, please fill in the fields with flags"

This was working fine until I discovered a file permission issue on the server which prevented me from overwriting files in the theme directory.
Even with the file permission issue I was still able to add and change product descriptions etc.. with any problems.
The problems started when I contact our hosting provider and they asked me to change the PHP5 support from 'Run as an Apache Module' to 'Run as a CGI application' and then they changed the ownership which allowed me to edit the temple files again :-(
It seems I have only fixed one issue to create another more serious one!

I hope I was able to describe the issue clear enough that someone might be able to help me. I would be most grateful for any and all comment/help.

Virtuemart 2.0.22c
PHP Built On    Linux pemlinweb121.blacknight.com 2.6.32-042stab078.27 #1 SMP Mon Jul 1 20:48:07 MSK 2013 x86_64
Database Version    5.0.83-community
Database Collation    utf8_general_ci
PHP Version    5.3.3
Web Server    Apache/2.2.11 (Unix)
WebServer to PHP Interface    cgi-fcgi
Joomla! Version    Joomla! 2.5.14 Stable [ Ember ] 01-August-2013 14:00 GMT
Joomla! Platform Version    Joomla Platform 11.4.0 Stable [ Brian Kernighan ] 03-Jan-2012 00:00 GMT
User Agent    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/27.0.1453.110 Safari/537.36 CoolNovo/2.0.9.20

Khaostar

Exact same problem here... Fresh install. Joomla 2.5.14 and VM 2.0.22c. no module, no custom template, only Joomla and VM and I can't save in the second language. It overwrite the default one and nothing is saved in the second :(

WirelessBrain

edgrassere

I have also this Problem, since last update, any solution found by anyone ?

jjk

Should work again in VirtueMart 2.0.22d. There still is a small problem with the flags not showing in non-default languages. But editing and saving translations works again.
Non-English Shops: Are your language files up to date?
http://virtuemart.net/community/translations

edgrassere

Yep with this update it works again.
Thanks, virtuemart wants to update, guess that bug will be fixed soon also.

ffredt

jjk

WirelessBrain

Thank you so much jjk, the update works like a dream. I was sure it was a hosting issue.

EvanGR

Hello,

We are on Joomla 2.5.14 and VM 2.0.24, and we are having this very same problem. Not only in product descriptions, but elswhere as well (e.g. Payment Info in standard VM payment method). Saving in the second language is very weird-acting and unreliable.

Any thoughts?

jjk

Quote from: EvanGR on October 15, 2013, 22:50:46 PM
Any thoughts?
Which editor do you use? As far as I know, only TinyMce and JCE work on VM multilingual websites. Also, if you 'Toggle Editor' (switch it off to see the html code), it looks like translations are not saved, but they are actually stored in the database.

In case you are using additional 3rd party or commercial plugins, check if there is an update for those, too.

You may go to VM 'Tools & Migration' and click on the button 'Install or if necessary update tables'.

EvanGR

Hi, and thanks jjk

We are using the default TinyMCE editor.

We did the 'Install or if necessary update tables' from the Tools & Migration panel. Cleaned all site cache for good measure. It seems to be working again. We hope it stays that way.

Thank you very much.

Generaator

vm2  2.0.26d
Joomla! 2.5.16
after installing update 2.0.26d got fixed error in switching languages in products, still switching categories doesn't work but database in another laguage is updated in first edit, in second try getting "No (fi-fi) translation in Product Category,please fill the fields with Flags" + no changes in language fields (flags changes), same thing with other not default languages...
joomla uses tinyMCE(tested width "no editor" and width "codemirror" - same results)

jjk

Try to go to VM 'Tools & Migration' and click on the button 'Install or if necessary update tables' check if this solves your problem.