fatal memory error - after update 2.0.22a [solved]

Started by slammy, August 18, 2013, 10:58:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slammy

Hello,

I am currently running jml 2.5.14 and vm sr 2.0.11 with global php-version 5.4.

I try to update to vm sr 2.0.22a - I used tar.gz files from dev.virtuemart.net. Of course I`ve done SQL dump and file backup.

Background:
I am since one week on a dedicated Server at 1und1. I switched my Hosting package because I tried this update (2.0.22a) 3 weeks before and it didn´t work for me-> I got fatal memory Errors at frontend after installation. Because of that, I took a look at my hosting-package and saw, that it was limited to 80 MByte. So I switched to the smallest dedicated Server-package which I am yet on.

Of course I already edited the php.ini and played around with it between 128 and 512 MBytes Memory Limit for php and tried the installations again - but error remains the same.

After installing both files vm and vm aio (2.0.22a), the backend works fine and I would love to use and see the new functions. But the frontend - only index.php - does not work as aspected- I get different fatal Errors, for example

Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 126877696) (tried to allocate 69 bytes) in /homepages/25/d253685392/htdocs/administrator/components/com_virtuemart/models/product.php on line 669
Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 126877696) (tried to allocate 696 bytes) in /homepages/25/d253685392/htdocs/administrator/components/com_virtuemart/helpers/vmtable.php on line 499

but only at index.php.

If it´s not only index.php, for example a category everything works, cart works, login works, it´s only the frontPage. First I thought, it may be the template and I switched to joomla standard, but it remains the same.

At this time, I have no further clue what I did wrong or what can I do to solve this.
If anyone of you know further tipps for me, I would appreciate any comments.

Update_ aah sry: URL is suite9.de, but yet it´s on 2.5.14 and vm 2.0.11 again, of course it prod Website.

regards jens

jjk

Does it go away if you go into your VM  'Tools > Tools & Migration' and click on 'Install or if necessary update tables' and also click in your Joomla menu 'Components > virtuemart-aio > Update VM Plugin tables'?
Non-English Shops: Are your language files up to date?
http://virtuemart.net/community/translations

slammy

Quote from: jjk on August 18, 2013, 11:15:24 AM
Does it go away if you go into your VM  'Tools > Tools & Migration' and click on 'Install or if necessary update tables' and also click in your Joomla menu 'Components > virtuemart-aio > Update VM Plugin tables'?

Hi jjk,

thank you for you help! I just tried it - but it remains the same, fatal error at single FrontPage ...
any further ideas?

jjk

If you look at your Joomla 'System Information > PHP Information' tab, what are your current settings for max_execution_time and memory_limit?

Usually something like this is ok:
max_execution_time 90
memory_limit 128M

BTW - On your life site you still have ...index.php... in your url. If you want to get rid of the ...index.php... in your url, it is necessary to enable 'Use url rewriting option' in Joomla AND rename the file htaccess.txt to .htaccess in your root folder.

slammy

Quote from: jjk on August 18, 2013, 12:21:40 PM
If you look at your Joomla 'System Information > PHP Information' tab, what are your current settings for max_execution_time and memory_limit?

Usually something like this is ok:
max_execution_time 90
memory_limit 128M

Ok I see I am under 90 seconds right now. Is 90 really neccessary? I will try and get back ...
thanks for your help

[attachment cleanup by admin]

slammy

Ok I´ve tested max_execution_time with 90 sec, remains same.

But, I played along with the settings in vm configuration and aaahhh: at least I think I found the problem: If I check "show latest products" in the configuration settings and save, the error appears, if I uncheck "show latest products" and save, it disappears and FrontPage is accessible. I will have a look in this module. Can´t remember that I ve had made changes to it, less some css ... Will get back and give Information ...

Is anybody else is affected?
regards jens

slammy

ok hm, I have to correct my last posts. It seems there are more "places" where I get fatal Memory Errors. I didn´t check all categories earlier. Some categories are accessible, others not. same with the manufacturers if I click "Show all products" from ... some are accessible, other not.

Could there be a relation between this problem and products in multiple categories?

Update: just checked it with 2.0.22 -> remains the same

Maxim Pishnyak

You can support Community by voting for Project on the JED
https://extensions.joomla.org/extension/virtuemart/#reviews
Join us at
https://twitter.com/virtuemart

slammy

Hi Maxim,

thanks for your help!
My Provider 1und1 only supports php 5.2 and php 5.4 and php dev -whatever beta they mean with that. It´s not possible to switch to 5.3.
Is it precondition/necessary for vm 2.0.22a?

regards jens

jjk

Quote from: slammy on August 18, 2013, 13:15:16 PM
Could there be a relation between this problem and products in multiple categories?
Looking at your second screenshot, your 'Frontend default items per list view' and some other of these pagination settings are much too high. 120 products on a single page means slow page loading times (long waiting times for your customers), because browsers load one image after another (not simultaniously) and probably also high memory requirements. I've attached a screenshot of my settings, which I think make more sense (for 3 products per row the setting should be i.e. 18,24,36, - but I don't use 3 per row) . In case you override your pagination settings with individual category settings, also check each of your category settings.

Also you still might be affected by this: http://www.djdesign.de/wordpress-hosting-1und1-prinzip/. (My own VM shop runs fine on a cheap 3.95 Euro per month shared server - not at 1and1 of course)

slammy

Quote from: jjk on August 18, 2013, 16:17:37 PM
Quote from: slammy on August 18, 2013, 13:15:16 PM
Looking at your second screenshot, your 'Frontend default items per list view' and some other of these pagination settings are much too high. 120 products on a single page means slow page loading times (long waiting times for your customers), because browsers load one image after another (not simultaniously) and probably also high memory requirements. I've attached a screenshot of my settings, which I think make more sense (for 3 products per row the setting should be i.e. 18,24,36, - but I don't use 3 per row) . In case you override your pagination settings with individual category settings, also check each of your category settings.

hi jjk again,

i tried it with your settings and unset the overrides in the category-settings but it remains the same ...

jjk

Maybe 1and1 has a 90 mb or lower default php memory_ limit on their dedicated servers too. You would have to ask them. If they didn't set a limit lower than 128 mb, you may check the max upload limit too, eventually increase it and then try to install the update again. Maybe the update was corrupt for some reason.

slammy

Quote from: jjk on August 18, 2013, 17:43:31 PM
Maybe 1and1 has a 90 mb or lower default php memory_ limit on their dedicated servers too. You would have to ask them. If they didn't set a limit lower than 128 mb, you may check the max upload limit too, eventually increase it and then try to install the update again. Maybe the update was corrupt for some reason.

Yes it was default at 90 MByte, but I can handle it on my own with php.ini
The server is at 4 GB ram. I tried it with 128, 256 and 512 as Memory_limit! I restarted the Apache sometimes ...

current config (phpinfo() and Joomla Systeminformation) is:

memory_limit=128M
upload_max_filesize=12M
post_max_size=12M
upload_tmp_dir=tmp/
max_execution_time=120

thanks you jjk for so much support, hope to find a solution or hint soon
regards jens

jjk

I think the important point in the "Wordpress hosting at 1and1" link in my first reply to you was that 1and1 ignores the website-owners php settings if it is above their default maximum (90 mb in your case). I would ask them if this applies to your account, too. Wouldn't surprise me if they tell you, you have to upgrade to a more expensive server to be able to use 128 mb or more php memory.

slammy

Quote from: jjk on August 18, 2013, 22:24:44 PM
I think the important point in the "Wordpress hosting at 1and1" link in my first reply to you was that 1and1 ignores the website-owners php settings if it is above their default maximum (90 mb in your case). I would ask them if this applies to your account, too. Wouldn't surprise me if they tell you, you have to upgrade to a more expensive server to be able to use 128 mb or more php memory.

If I edit a new php-script and output server-variables with phpinfo (), the Server gives back the settings of this configuration, in my case my php.ini setting ... and I did test it with 128, 256 and 512 MB. I can't believe they do an override and the server can keep this secret ... the server is 10 times higher by costs than the link to the wordpress-hosting ... however,  I will ask at 1und1 and report. Thank u jjk