Main Menu

VAT applied to EU countries only

Started by chicago, June 27, 2013, 17:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chicago

Joomla v2.5.11
Virtuemart v2.0.20b

I need the following facilities:
Anonymous viewers see Price Including VAT (20%)
VAT applied to Countries in EU
NO VAT applied to countries outside the EU

I have a current VAT rule set up for the EU Countries and this is the default for each product. Set this way, anonymous viewers see VAT.
If in the product pricing I change the 'Tax Affecting' from VAT to 'Apply Default Rules' no VAT is seen or applied to the product

What settings do I need to:
Have VAT as the default setting but remove the VAT once a country outside the EU is selected??

This is rather urgent!!!

K&K media production

please attache images from your rule and product settings

ncopeman

I'd be interested to see the answer to this too as we're having a similar issue.

chicago

Here's the solution arrived at:

FIRST RULE:
This takes care of VAT (added at product level) for all signed in members - will only be applied to countries identified (EU)
Name - VAT
Tax per product
+%
Default Shopper Group
Country - identify all EU countries

SECOND RULE:
VAT applied worldwide to anonymous users  (see rule 3 also)
Name - VAT anonymous
Same settings as above but Anonymous shopper group
Leave Country empty (all affected)

RULE 3:
Name - VAT refund for non-EU countries
Price modifier after tax per bill
math operation -%
Value - 16.6666
Shopper Group - anonymous
Country - select ALL countries outside EU (ball ache this bit)

So for anonymous users, VAT will be shown on each product, will be charged on each product BUT at the checkout (details for country have been entered by customer) refund on VAT will be calculated and subtracted from invoice

Workaround which works, without any coding experience!

lorartemis

Does this show all users the VAT in the cart when they add to cart?   and then remove it once they select a non eu country? 

I've been battling with this for weeks and it's driving my client bananas.     I have a 20% eu vat rule, no rule for other countries, and a VAT rule of 20% for anonymous.   The user just browsing sees the price with vat, the UK buyer sees the price with vat but then they add to cart and the cart strips out the vat.     I set the default country to 222 (UK) and state to 65 (England) but that still doesn't make the vat show until the entire address is completed.    The customers assume they're being misled on price (despite having seen the higher price already) and the client is emailing me 50 times a day.       

The client is really fed up, her customers are fed up and I've lost over a week of work for absolutely no pay.   I'm supposed to be recovering from surgery and have spent every minute since I got home from hospital trying to get this to work.   I'm about ready to just drop the whole thing before it kills me.

I'm using VM 2.0.20, Joomla 2.5.11 on php 5.3

jkrabbenbos

I have tried this on my development environment, as I had the same problems. I had one tax rule for all shopper groups and with the EU countries selected.

The above workaround does work! It does give an extra line on the invoice with the name of the rule. In my case it says "VAT Refund". And I will discuss with the shop manager if we can implement this until this has been solved the correct way.

In my opinion this should not be the way this issue should be solved. To me, if I create a tax rule that is available for all shopper groups and for a given set of countries, this rule should be applied. As it is now, I have the feeling that one or two settings (e.g. country, shopper group) are missed when calculating the tax (or other rules). Of course I can be wrong, but in that case please let us know how to solve this the proper way.
Regards,
Jan

----------------------
Joomla 2.5.16
VM 2.0.24c (2.0.26 on the development site)

jenkinhill

There is also an EU VAT id checking plugin to apply the tax rules and validate VAT registration if selling any B2B.  http://extensions.virtuemart.net/vm-orders/eu-vat-checker-detail
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

krentzis

I followed your instruction with the 3 rules but it is not working. :(

e-trader

Unfortunately no proper solution. Maybe the VM team can let all EU users know how to configure such an important part of the shop. It was so easy to implement in VM1 and seems impossible in VM2.

krentzis

I really dont understand why this is so difficult to implement.

krentzis

Here is how I solved the VAT issue for NON EU countries.

1) created a tax rule VAT 23% with Vat tax per product +% 23.00 with shopper groups available for all and listed all the EU countries.
2) created a tax rule 23% tax for all with tax per product +% 23.00 with shopper groups anonymous only and let the countries Available for all

At the product page under pricing/base price I choose Apply default rules.

Now the visitor who is not logged in can see prices with tax and if they are logged in can see the prices with or without tax depending if they are in EU or outside EU.

ALSO

This solved my double pricing problem as I described here
http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=118845.0

anja83

Hi, I wonder if anyone could help?

Virtuemart 2.0.26d, Joomla! 2.5.18

My virtuemart is still showing VAT taxes to ALL countries.
Product configuration: Baseprice "VAT 21%"

I've already tried setting up a tax rule for zero% to apply to all and a 21% rate for EU listing those countries to which it should apply.
http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=115661.msg389804#msg389804

I've tried lleto and lorartemis' solutions. Did not work for me.
http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=115661.msg389899#msg389899

I've tried with no success the different solutions suggested here
https://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=105673.msg354128#msg354128

Could anyone kindly suggest anything else? I don't understand why something that should be so straightforward is so difficult for many. What am I doind wrong?

Thanks

K&K media production

If you choose the VAT 21% rule in product configuration it will add to the product for each country. You must choose apply generic rules and in the rule configuration you must choose the countries, product categories, ...

anja83

Hi kkmediaproduction,

Thanks for your kind reply. Apologies as I wasn't clear in my post.

Like the person who opened this thread, I need:
1. Anonymous viewers see Price Including VAT (20%)
2. VAT applied to Countries in EU
3. After the shopper enters their non-EU address, NO VAT applied to countries outside the EU.

Your solution does not show VAT to anonymous shoppers. As most of my clients are based in the EU, I'd need them to see straight away prices including VAT.

If I may add a 4th point:
4. The solution must take into consideration that my shop has products with two different VAT rates: a standard 21% and a reduced 4% for books.

Thanks again for your help, I hope you'll be able to provide a fix?

K&K media production

use shoppergroups and allow checkout only for registred users

2 vat rules for all countries and anonymous shoppers (21% and 4%)
2 vat rules for registered users and countries inside EU (21% and 4%)