News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

VM 2 checkout process complicated, opinions

Started by seanctc, February 12, 2012, 23:54:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jenkinhill

"VM 2.0.3H" is a development version with known bugs.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

patrik60

Ok. looking forward for the next official release of VM. In my opinion this one page checkout override is a very good solution!!

anotart

I have been very impressed with the VirtueMart package (2.06 on Joomla 2.5).  I've been quite amazed by all that is built into it and it's functionality -- and the customizations I've been able to make even though I'm a novice to all things web.

However, I've been surprised by the problems I'm having with the checkout.  As the first person stated, it is not intuitive at all the first time you encounter it.  That makes it unusable for a site that mostly has "guest" customers.  I have spent hours trying to find solutions to problems on this forum and have implemented a number of them -- all of which end up giving me different problems.  There are so many options everywhere else in the product and then when I get to checkout (the main reason for the product), I'm stuck.  I'd prefer not adding another extension if I can avoid it.

A couple questions:

1)  Is there something I'm overlooking, or has someone come up with a solution to simplify checkout that really works. 

2)  I saw in the "features" for VM2, that there is a one-page or one-click checkout option -- I haven't found that.  Does anyone know about that?

Here is a link to my store, with the work arounds -- including the current one that doesn't work:

http://www.notarthomas.com/Mary/index.php/2012-05-29-16-05-40/online-store

I don't want anything fancy -- I just need a customer to be able to easily understand how to check out. 

Thank you for your help -- and thank you for a great product!

jenkinhill

Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

renatomiranda

I have a simple solution:

add this to your css

.billto-shipto {display:none;}

Thomas Kampp

Was there ever found a solution to this? I can't even allow users to register during checkout due to an error in Virtuemart!!

I am seeing the exact same screenshots as many of you (without the option of the user to register during check out, even though it is activated in the configuration).
Please also see this thread for screenshot: http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=112382.msg378056
Danish Joomla Services: www.toolmaster.dk
Danish Joomla Services: www.joomla-konsulent.dk
Danish Joomla Hosting: www.joomla-hosting.dk
Danish Smart Home: www.smart-home-konsulent.dk
Danish Subject Blog: www.sutra.dk

Belonogast

I searched the web for a solution but never found one.

Especially in Germany where shops are always in danger of getting sued, this checkout is really madness because it confuses the customer.
I just can't unserstand why we can't have the simple 4-step-checkout like in old virtuemart or any other shop...

I also tried to customize the checkout but it always falls back the the default_pricelist and so there is no chance to separate the list in step 1 from step 4.

sandstorm

I'm using OPC in 2 sites now. 3 by the end of tomorrow.

It doesn't hack core VM, updates are coming out all the time and in the short time I have used it, the developer has listened to a couple of ideas I have had and already added them into latest release.

I think its well worth another look, for those who may have tried it when VM2 first came out, as it seems to have progressed a lot!
J3.6.4 / PHP7.0.12
VM3.0.16

lindapowers

The best checkout I have tested for VM is the one by rupostel, the other plugins may look nice but are miles away in functions  + the fact that they are plugins and not components block their capacities in some templates using specific frameworks. The component works really well and is a nice and simple checkout, so is just a matter of layout.

Mention a part is the incredible support Stan offers.

I never understood the logic in the checkout of VM, is not unidirectional, lacks of some easy loaders to display payment and shipping methods and there are buttons all around which may confuse the customers.

Actually it was the checkout of VM that some months ago made me try other e-commerce solutions.

Just needs a few fixes and it will become excellent, sadly in it's current state is confusing for customers specially if you use guest checkout.

I still have hope in them fixing it one day and making a really excellent checkout. Feels completely aside from the quality of the rest of the product and destroys the image for new users to VM.