News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

Category Browse Page -where is the template file ../categories or ../category?

Started by Meelis Malgand, April 21, 2013, 17:16:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meelis Malgand

Hi,

I have been through the forum to find an answer to this with no result so shoot me if I have missed it.

Issue is as followes:
I am trying to change the number of items in a row on some of the Category Browse Pages. I have created a new file in ../category folder. It does show up in the VM backend Category edit dropdown ("Category Browse Page") but when changing it to the new file I just created will make no difference. Bizzarly, being confused of the two different folders - categories and category I gave it a go and modified the default file in the categories folder and voila it worked. It changed the view from 3 items per column to 2 as desired. So I guessed that categories is the correct location and created a custom file in there, but this wont show up in the Category Browse Page dropdown in the VM backend. I haven't gone the joomla template route yet and override it there.

Anyone here dears to prove that I am a muppet.

Anything unclear let me know.

Just in case this helps:

VM: 2.0.20b
J: 2.5.9
PHP: 5.3.23

Regards.
Mel.

PRO

jenkinhill

Quote from: Meelis Malgand on April 21, 2013, 17:16:55 PM
I haven't gone the joomla template route yet and override it there.

The revised template will not show in the override list unless it is correctly located in your Joomla template html/com_cirtuemart/category/ directory.
The Categories directory is for the layaout showing all categories... The category directory is for displaying all the products in a single category.

In both cases the number of categories or products per row can be set in configuration:

"Default Number of Products per Row" can be set in the category edit page for each category - this overrides the "Default number of products in a row " set in Configuration/Templates/VirtueMart Home Page Settings.

The number of categories in a row is set using "Default number of categories in a row" in Configuration/Templates/VirtueMart Home Page Settings

For  override help see http://www.ostraining.com/blog/joomla/overrides  and also  http://docs.virtuemart.net/tutorials/33-templating-layouts.html
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

Meelis Malgand

jenkinhill, I guess you have answered my question. I am going to try this out in a minute especially the vm config related which I haven't tried yet and will report back here.

Many Thanks.