News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

php mail and virtuemart don't work

Started by kubwit, January 19, 2013, 16:46:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kubwit

Hallo.

I'm setting up a fresh joomla 2.5.8 and virtuemart v 2.0.18a on an hosting account where i already have the old version 1.5.28 and vm 1.1.9 working.

My problem is:

When a customer makes an order and confirms it the checkout process finishes with the message: impossible to iniziate mail function (i don't know if i translated well from italian - look the screenshot 1) - and it don't send any mail

The php mail function works well with every other module or application so as : user registration, jnews, jcomments and any other system mail from joomla. (screenshot2) - and it sends a mail

You can tryout here http:// ilmondodiwit.com / new / shop-hide (url without space)

Having the php mailer function working i thing that it is an issue of virtuemart. i tryed to google and search different forums but what i found was only about the hosting - this is not my case having it working with other components and modules

Some ideas or any help ? Thanks

[attachment cleanup by admin]

jjk

What happens if you change the mail setting in 'Joomla configuration - Mail Settings - Mailer' from PHP to SMTP?
Non-English Shops: Are your language files up to date?
http://virtuemart.net/community/translations

kubwit

Thanks for reply!
I tried it before posting. I cannot make it work in anyway. Otherwise i left it with smtp. when i switch to smtp and i try to configure it with 3 different types of accounts (google smtp, my provider smtp or my hosting smtp) it doesn't work and i get the error that the sender  email adress is not accepted.

For example my hosting smtp ( to avoid any spam protection) gives the reply i give you in screenshot i( i put the same email adress also in vendors section)

so i don't know

[attachment cleanup by admin]

kubwit

Hallo. I got the smtp function work. but still no way with virtuemart. but i still get the error

Could not instantiate mail function.

This happens here http:// ilmondodiwit.com / test (without spaces)
This is a virgin install 2.5.8 and virtuemart 2.0.18a installed

I give you admin access so you can test

I also tried to downgrade the phpmailer to the 2.5.2 joomla version but no way

The strange thing is that all works only VM not!

Thanks for your reply

kubwit

Nobody has any similar issue?? i'm the only one ?

Quote from: jjk on January 19, 2013, 23:05:17 PM
What happens if you change the mail setting in 'Joomla configuration - Mail Settings - Mailer' from PHP to SMTP?

The smtp mailer has the same effect !

maybe some php setting required?

any help is very apreciated !

get27

Hello,

I've got the same problem. Did you found any solution ?
Modify message
Joomla 2.5.7    Vm 2.0.20

GAS

Hi
I discovered a similar problem this morning as Im in the process of getting a new site up and running.

I have created a couple of customers to enable me to test the shopping functions.

- I could send test mails via the admin control panel "mass email" to these customers, but the site would not send emails to any of the customers or admin when any of the customers placed an order.
The site is running J2.5.9  and V2.0.20B

After reading a couple of joomla and virtuemart forums... it would appear that there is some issue on some host servers running in various versions of safe mode.   All a bit above my level of understanding.
However one forum link did suggest changing the joomla phpmailer.php file back to an older version as used in Joomla release 2.5.2.

This fix worked for me and was quite straight forward to implement (these was no need to contact the host provider and ask them to change things that I didn't really know anything about)

1) download an old copy of J2.5.2 and extract it on to your harddrive.
2) using an ftp program go to your live site and find  \ libraries\phpmailer.php
3) rename to say phpmailer_old.php  (just in case this fix doesn't work and you need to go back to it)
4) then simply copy the phpmailer.php file from the older J2.5.2 version on your harddisk and place in the same folder in your live site as above.

all done.

opening the phpmailer.php files you will see that:
J2.5.9 uses phpmailer.php Version: 5.2.1 
J2.5.2 uses phpmailer.php Version: 5.2

what is the difference between, I  don't really know (but using the older version fixed the problem - for me).

lindapowers

We never got php mail to work properly even in joomla 1.5, I don't think this is a problem related to VM but rather to hostings.

I think you should use SMTP specially to handle multiple emails send, we never had problems with it.

Regards