SOLVED can't filter products by manufacturer in category view

Started by franci77, April 05, 2013, 11:07:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

franci77

Hi,

I am experiencing problem in category view (where products are displayed), just above the list where products are displayed, there are dropdowns/selects displayed to sort products by. And now I have two of those selects.

First is the one that is made by my custom choosing, which I made in the VM configuration, that one works OK. The second select dropdown is sort by manufacturer. This one doesn't work. It is just shown but dimmed, I can't click on it to see the manufacturers dropdown and sort product by manufacturer, although I have like 30 manufacturers in my VM. What could cause this not to work?

The odd thing is that I have also a module, that shows only dropdown with the manufacturer, and it works OK.

I noticed that in the configuration of VM, under "Template" tab, there is a checkbox option with "Show manufacturer" title, if I uncheck this, it will hide sorting by manufacturer. That is all that I noticed in configuration for this sorting. Is there anything else that I am missing?

Thank you,
Franci

franci77

Oh, sorry...

The VM version is the latest, 2.0.20b, and Joomla version is 2.5.

Did anybody ever have an issue like that? Any solutions?

Thank you very much in advance.

Best regards,
Franci

franci77

Hi all,

So nobody had this issue yet? At least any assumption, what could this cause?

Just wondering, is this any setting, that should be change to work? Or is it probably something to do with the template and it's code?

Thank you in advance for any solutions.

Regards,
Franci

franci77

Update again... :P

Sorry, the title by default is wrong... I meant that I can't filter by manufacturers.

The thing is that when I am on the home page, I can select manufacturer, and go to it's page, see it's products. And when I am on page where manufacturer is displayed (so I am not in category view), I can also select any other manufacturer, everything works fine. So as long as I am not on category view everything works OK.

But when I am on the category view, so I select any of the category, it is like do manufacturers exist, but there are no products actually assigned to them. That is probably why the dropdown filter with manufacturers above products display in category view doesn't even appear.

How I found that is that I downloaded some module to filter by categories and manufacturers. This module shows next to category/manufacturer number of products assigned to it. So when I was directly on the page view of some manufacturer, I saw in this module that I can select other manufacturer and next to it's name there is shown the number of products that it contains.
But when I was in any category view, I saw in this module that it shows as any manufacturers don't contain any products, as there is no product assign to any manufacturer. The number next to manufacturer names is always zero (0). So I can't even select them to filter products by them.

Hopefully I wrote this enough clearly for understanding.

My VM version is 2.0.20b and Joomla version is 2.5. The link to this site is http://www.ideaz.si/velodrom/jupgrade.

Thank you again for any help.

Regards,
Franci

balai

As you wrote there are no manufacturers for the products of some categories.

But you did not write what the problem is or what you are trying to do.

franci77

The problem is as the title says that I can't filter products by manufacturer in any category view.

There is a dropdown select displayed above the list of products in category view and when I click this dropdown select no manufacturers are displayed to selectm even though manufacturers actually do exist and products are assigned to them, so it should work.

Thanks.

Regards,
Franci

balai

To me seems that this happen only when there are no manufacturers.
For example in this page http://www.ideaz.si/velodrom/jupgrade/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=category&virtuemart_category_id=358
There are manufacturers and you can see that in the category page and in the filtering module you are using.

In some other categories like this http://www.ideaz.si/velodrom/jupgrade/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=category&virtuemart_category_id=344
There are no manufacturers. This can be seen also in the filtering module

If you have assigned manufacturers, check if they are published

franci77

balai thank you very much for checking this issue.

I checked, all manufacturers are set to published. I think, if they weren't, they wouldn't be even available as here on the first link you pasted in. Or am I wrong?
Or should manufacturers also be somewhere assigned to the categories? If they should, where do I assign them? I mean I want then to be all manufacturers set to all categories.

But isn't it odd that manufacturers are always available, except when you go to any specific category? When you go to any category it seems to me as that there aren't any products assigned to any of the manufacturers, so because of that, you cannot filter by them.

Thanks again.

Regards,
Franci

Quote from: balai on April 08, 2013, 13:38:20 PM
To me seems that this happen only when there are no manufacturers.
For example in this page http://www.ideaz.si/velodrom/jupgrade/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=category&virtuemart_category_id=358
There are manufacturers and you can see that in the category page and in the filtering module you are using.

In some other categories like this http://www.ideaz.si/velodrom/jupgrade/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=category&virtuemart_category_id=344
There are no manufacturers. This can be seen also in the filtering module

If you have assigned manufacturers, check if they are published

franci77

Hello,

I have found a solution myself.

The thing is that I programmed a little bit so that when you are on the parent category, it shows all the products of subcategories. Which if you ask me and many other, VM should have option by default.
So when this products were displayed, they weren't actually assigned to this current category, they were products of subcategories. And because of that the filtering system couldn't filter by manufacturers, because actually there weren't any products to filter.

So I found a plugin on internet on this link: http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions/extension-specific/virtuemart-extensions/virtuemart-categories/23074
This plugin assign all products of subcategories also to parent categories. After that the products of subcategories were displayed and also I could filter them by manufacturers.

The feature of this plugin, if you ask me, should also have VM by default. I recommend that very much.

Thanks anyway to all of you, especially to balai.

Best regards,
Franci