News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

Virtuemart support for Joomla 3

Started by janardhan, March 31, 2013, 20:23:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

janardhan

When can we expect VirtueMart support for Joomla 3? Please let us know as we are very comfortable working with virtuemart and eagerly waiting for its support for joomla 3.

Thanks

lindapowers

jenkinhill

WTF

I'm sure we are going to get a load more such inquiries from people who don't do a forum search or cannot read a project roadmap..
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

zorroh

Did you guys ever think about that you always one step behinde with your development?

as i look Virtuemart is really potential software, but it always leaping one leg.

Joomla 3.0 released in sept 2012, and you guys starting to think about Joomla 3.0 in March 2013 like we can see in your roadmap... seems that your terrible late with this.

Virtuemart is component for Joomla, so maybe it is wise to follow Joomla's idea? Right now you want to realease J!3 support same time as Joomla 3.5.. Guys, this is really late..

Joomla! 3.5 is solid product, but you realeasing your first support for J!3... this is problem, and i solve this in way what isnt good for virtuemart.. i just use another software and other people doing same thing. so use of virtuemart will be less.. and if nobody using it, why you doing it?

Webmasters view
like many others i do websites for my clients, and i have long and good relationship with my clients.

so i have already websites and shops with my clients.
my clients wants innovative and good solutions what is possible to get today.

i solve this in that way
1. i do website and release it
2. same time when everything is working with finished site i will start to do next release of this project
3. when solid version of new version is out, then i release next version of this project.

Joomla have long support and short support. in short support time actually Joomla team testing and developing new major version of Joomla.. and i do the same, so Virtuemart.. if i cant test and learn your new version during in Joomla! short time support cycle then i will not use your software.

so your software will always late, if your product timing for first release is same as Joomla's long term support release (Joomla! 3.5)

i have hope that in some day it can change.. so far i cant use Virtuemart.

AH

Zorroh

Most developers with a large client base (suchs as the VM team) want to develop on a sufficiently robust and stable code base.

There are still millions of sites using Joomla 1.5.26 that have not justified a move to 2.5.11.  It will be great when VM supports Joomla 3.0 but as it supports 2.5 I cannot see why you are being overtly negative.    You appear to have spent more time writing this comment than searching for the responses to this Joomla 3 question and moving on to choose your replacement "Nirvana" open source e-commerce Joomla 3 plugin product.

Read this from the Joomla team regarding versions:-

Joomla developers view
So the idea of STS and LTS releases is very simple. If you want cutting edge features, you should go with the STS releases – for example, 3.0 in September 2012, 3.1 in March 2013, and 3.5 in September 2013. If you want stability and can live with the 2.5 feature set, stay on 2.5 until after 3.5 is released and then update to 3.5. Same thing with version 4. Go the 4.0 / 4.1 / 4.5 path to get the latest-greatest, or wait for 4.5 to reduce the number of updates you need to do.

The choice is entirely yours. The only condition is this: if you go with an STS release (say 3.0 or 3.1), you need to understand that these have a short lifespan and that you are in effect committing to updating every six months until you get to the next LTS release (for example, 3.5). At that point, you can decide whether to stay on the STS path (and go for 4.0 / 4.1 / 4.5) or switch to the LTS path (and wait for version 4.5).

Fortunately for many users, the VM team are aiming to support LTS. 

Myself and many of my business colleagues are too busy focusing on ROI, selling items and making a profit, to religously follow a software release schedule, much of which brings little business advantage and constant headaches caused by plugins that no longer function.  I for one do not jump when a snotty nosed programmer tells me that the "next release" is the next best thing and that without it we are all doomed.

If you have the time to constantly be updating your core CMS and plugins to the latest versions good luck!

I hope you and your clients also diligently followed the release strategy of Microsoft and migrated OS in the correct sequence along with all your business software?
Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1  I will leave out the versions of MS OFFICE and Adobe Photoshop that they could have enhanced their lives buying again and again.

You will find thousands of users that are thankful that the VM team produce one of the BEST e-commerce plugins for Joomla at no initial cost and continue to add great features and support for new Joomla releases.

As with all software, if you don't like it, you can choose another route and with VM your loss of capital will be low!

Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0