News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

Additional (Dropbox) Custom Fields with Stockable Variants

Started by merseyman, March 12, 2013, 11:28:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merseyman

Hi,

I've started to go round in circles with the custom fields in VM2 (not quite knowing if my confusion is due to bugs, template conflicts or my grasp of the custom fields concept) ...

My products have a few standard options (for which I've found the stockable variants plugin the perfect solution) and several optional extras (and the dropbox plugin would appear to be able to deal with this).

I'm therefore using multiple instances of the dropbox plugin here, but the issue is that it doesn't show all the selected options in the cart (it just shows the title).

The dropbox custom fields are only added to the parent product ... Is this the way to do it? (as manually adding them to the child items could be laborious!)

Is there a better way to do all this? Have I missed a trick, or can the above work with a few tweaks?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob

PRO

merseyman

Sorry, it's been a while ...  ;)

I'm using VM 2.0.18a with J2.5.9

PRO

merseyman

Yes, I've tried it with the Atomic template and it still won't show the selected options in the cart.

Do you think it's because I'm using multiple instances of the dropbox plugin? (edit: actually when I test this with just one dropdown it still doesn't show the dropdown selection in the cart)
... or maybe the Stockable Variants plugin can't work with additional custom fields? (edit: I've tested this and other custom fields work fine)

merseyman

After trying every permutation, I've concluding the dropbox plugin doesn't work with stockable variants.

PRO

PRO

have you tested it with NON stockable variants?

and do you have to keep stock?

merseyman

No, I've not tested it on non-stockable variants ... the stockable variants plugin is perfect for my scenario (defining size and material standard options) and additional custom fields are used to select the optional extras (that are added after the order's taken).
I thought the dropbox plugin would do this for me, but I've now found the 'cart variant' custom field type here will do the same thing and it seems to be working fine.

Ideally, I'd have a dropdown with the ability for multiple radio selections, but I've not yet come across this.

PRO

The dropbox is the only custom field I use on my site.
But I do not keep stock, thats why it's perfect for me