"Error: Please enter your name" - required fields bug on checkout registration

Started by olgri, February 20, 2013, 09:48:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

olgri

I get "Error: Please enter your name" error on Joomla 2.5.9 & VM 2.0.18a when trying to register on checkout. If I ignore it and try to get through checkout anyway, the order gets placed but new account doesn't get created.
I made sure First Name and Last Name are filled in but still was getting the error.
I searched a lot but couldn't find a solution.
After a while I have finally realised that this is because of the Displayed Name form field!! You have to fill it in! However there is no indication that this is a required field. In fact, there is no asterisk ("star" symbol) for User Name field either but it IS a required field as well.

Also, why are Password and Confirm Password fields NOT required during  registration on checkout??? How are new users supposed to login next time without a password if they haven't entered one??

This all would be very confusing for the customers so expect a lot of "drop outs" :(

I've tried adding asterisks to the labels using Joomla language overrides (Extensions->Language Manager->Overrides) but then on Account Maintenance you get double asterisks!
And why Password and Confirm Password ARE required on Account Maintenance page???

I do not understand VM developers' logic at all... Please someone explain to me...  ???

For now, I am using language override for JLIB_DATABASE_ERROR_PLEASE_ENTER_YOUR_NAME ("Please enter your Displayed Name" instead of "Please enter your name") - at list it will point users to the correct form field but......

....Is there anyway the above could be fixed (properly)???

Milbo

It depends on your mode set in vm config tab checkout.

Assume you let anonymous checkout and you offer registration, then it depends on the button you are using. Of course for registration you need to enter a login name and a displayed name and the passwords. When you checkout as anonymous you dont need that. You can still track your order (even as anonymous, yes).
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

olgri

Yep, you've guessed the settings correctly :)

On checkout, ask for registration - YES
Only registered users can checkout - NO

--------------------------------------------------------

Ah now I see what the logic behind is... I guess if you add asterisks then those users who want to checkout as guests will be confused... BUT with the current set up, those who want to register are confused. Moreover, if you don't enter passwords, you won't be able to access your account next time so have to retrieve "forgotten" password and most users won't bother with such complications :(

Could it be handled a little bit differently? i.e.  you display the login form and a couple of radio buttons (or normal buttons) "Checkout as a Guest" and "Register and Checkout" on the checkout page. When you click "Checkout as a Guest", "Bill To" form is displayed and the registration form is NOT and when click "Register and Checkout" both are displayed. Email field should be displayed in both cases though.

Is this doable?

PS: tracking orders anonymously is a great feature!!  :)

olgri

Also, I have tried testing checkout without filling out any of the fields and came across another bug in validation: http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=113238.0

aarondwyer

I've got

On checkout, ask for registration (YES)
and
Only registered users can checkout (YES)

And the Display Name, Username, Password, Confirm Password are still not displaying with an * asterix to prompt the user that they are required.

They are locked as required in the shopper fields.

How can I get an * asterix next to the labels in my checkout screens?.

Thanks
Aaron

lindapowers

I'm facing the same issue in the virtuemart account page.

Username    
Displayed Name    
Password    
Confirm Password

All these are set as required fields but they do not show the *
If you try to register it does say "Please enter your name" etc but is quite confusing not showing the * in the register required fields.

I understand your logic with the checkout but is not applicable to the register, specially when those fields are marked as required for it. Customers should be able to see exactly what fields they are required to register no?

Regards

lindapowers

I just noticed is the same effect as in here http://extensions.virtuemart.net/my-account

If you click register without entering anything the shopper fields are not marked neither show the asterisk*

Any idea on how to solve it?

Milbo

Hmmm, we assumed that registering is optional, so it should show the asterisk only, when you press register and you missed something. So we just missed the case for the "only registered are allowed to checkout" in the js, imho.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

lindapowers

I understand your logic however even with optional register (as we do) those fields are required to create an account.

I think you are considering it as the checkout and not as the register itself + the * are not even showed if the shopper fields are not entered.

They are not marked or showing the *, so a not very smart customer will be ???:

Shouldn't those shopper fields be marked with an * and in red if not filled? Don't understand what does the checkout have to do with the fact that those fields are required in order to create an account, I guess they are probably the same used for the checkout and there comes the issue no?

Currently if you enter BT details and register the page will reload and say "please enter your name"

Regards

inthysite

Okay I see where Milbo acknowledges that they missed setting these fields as required when the setting is "only registered users can checkout"

So the question remains; is there a fix for this.

When I try to register and I leave these fields blank I am redirected back to the registration form and the top message area states "Please enter your name" but nothing is highlighted or marked as missing.  This is confusing, especially since there is no "name" field.  There is a username and a first name and a last name.

I entered a username, left the password blank and upon submission I am taken back to the registration form with the exact same message at the top "Please enter your name", further adding to the confusion.

I know it seems sensible to you and me that we would enter a username and password when registering for an account but you would be surprised at the number of non-tech savy users who don't realize this.

I have a client who wants these fields marked as required.  They only allow registered users to checkout.  What needs to be done to correct this?

jenkinhill

In the default VM templates the unfilled fieds are highlighted. So maybe you are using template overrides for checkout?
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

lindapowers

Quote from: jenkinhill on July 16, 2013, 23:27:07 PM
In the default VM templates the unfilled fieds are highlighted. So maybe you are using template overrides for checkout?

Only the fields with * are highlighted in red.

Nickname, username and password aren't when they are required, so is really something confusing
Regards

illPhever

Quote from: olgri on February 20, 2013, 12:06:41 PM
Yep, you've guessed the settings correctly :)

On checkout, ask for registration - YES
Only registered users can checkout - NO

--------------------------------------------------------

Ah now I see what the logic behind is... I guess if you add asterisks then those users who want to checkout as guests will be confused... BUT with the current set up, those who want to register are confused. Moreover, if you don't enter passwords, you won't be able to access your account next time so have to retrieve "forgotten" password and most users won't bother with such complications :(

Could it be handled a little bit differently? i.e.  you display the login form and a couple of radio buttons (or normal buttons) "Checkout as a Guest" and "Register and Checkout" on the checkout page. When you click "Checkout as a Guest", "Bill To" form is displayed and the registration form is NOT and when click "Register and Checkout" both are displayed. Email field should be displayed in both cases though.

Is this doable?

I recall that it was done similar to this way in Virtuemart 1.  There was a checkbox that said something like, "Checkout as Guest," and when you checked it, the registration fields for Username and Password would disappear...collapse away.  This was much more straightforward to me because it was easy for customers to know which fields they needed to complete.  I'd like to be able to do it that way in VM2.

eumedia

I've asked and many other users, but not the answer - this is a serious error to be solved as soon as possible!

http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=117893.0

eumedia

Developers us not answer what will be and how to solve this problem? How can customers buy without registration?
Thank you very much