I have now also created a "Downloads for Sale" plugin: http://www.open-tools.net/virtuemart-2-extensions/vm2-downloads-for-sale.html
This forum is meant as the support forum of the plugin, so please post questions and suggestions here, if you want others to read them too (you can always reach me by e-mail, too).
This is a Virtuemart 2 plugin to sell downloadable files, or provide downloads linked with a bought product (e.g. drivers). The downloads can either be free for all (no registration, no payment), only for registered users of your site, or only after a product has been paid. For paid downloads, once the order has been confirmed, the download link will appear both on the product page and in the invoice / order confirmation (its appearance is configurable).
What this plugin tries to do:
- Allow free downloads (attached to VirtueMart products) for everyone
- Allow free downloads (attached to VirtueMart products) only for registered (and logged-in) users
- Sell downloadable files in VirtueMart, with no download restictions attached (a buyer will have unrestricted access after purchase, i.e. no time limit or by number of downloads)
- The direct download link will be displayed on the product's page as well as in the invoice (configurable)
- Download of paid downloads requires the ordernumber and order password (given in the link)
- A "All your downloads" page is also provided, where the user can see the download links for all the products he has purchased.
This plugin allows you to add downloadable media files as custom fields (similar to the iStraxx and the Spiral download plugins) and provide those files as free, registered or paid downloads to the user. It has some improvements over the other plugins:
- The download link is also shown on the product details page if the user is logged in (and has purchased the product in the past)
- There is a separate "All my downloads" page that show the links to all the downloads that the current user has access to. (anonymous users can use the ordernumber and order password to access the downloads).
On the other hand, this plugin does NOT try to:
- Give access to downloads only for a limited period of time, or for a limited number of downloads
- Keep track of who downloads a file
- Give streaming access to movie or audio files