News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

Show products from Multiple categories on one page

Started by AlexF, January 28, 2013, 14:22:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlexF

Hi guys, hope this it the right section for my post.

I am looking to have all of my products displayed on one page but under separate headings using the existing Virtuemart I have set up and working, is this possible? I have laid it out in html at www.kaosbeds.co.uk, so you can get an idea of what I am after,  but this is rather too time consuming as stock changes frequently.

I have had a good look around but don't see any mention of any way to do this.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Alex

I am using Joomla 1.5 and VM2.

jenkinhill

Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

AlexF

Sorry for not including version number.

Virtuemart: 2.0.1

Joomla: 1.5.17

Alex

jenkinhill

Your software is way out of date. The VirtueMart version you are using has known security issues and should not be used on a live site. The current version is 2.0.18a.

Similarly, Joomla 1.5.17 has known critical security issues - the last version of J1.5 was 1.5.26 which is believed to still be secure, but support for J1.5 ended last October. Current Joomla version for use with latest VM is 2.5.8  See also http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=106865.0   

It is therefore recommended that you update both Joomla and VirtueMart, after which it is easier to work out a display solution. The update changes with VirtueMart versions can be accessed from  http://virtuemart.net/index.php?option=com_content&id=416
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

AlexF

Thanks for the quick replies Jenkinhill,
If I am to upgrade to Joomla 2.5 and whichever Virtuemart is the latest release will this enable me to do what I am after? If not then I see no point in upgrading and will seek out a new CMS.

Thanks
Alex

balai

Hi

I think that you have to create a new categories layout to do that.

But you can use a filtering extension to display products from multiple categories, manufacturers, or other criteria.
In this case you want have the "category" heading at the top. But to me seams much more user friendly to let the user decide which kind of products he wants to see and how they will be displayed

AlexF

Thanks for replying Balai,
do you mean that this is possible after upgrading or there is something I have missed?
I know what you mean about letting people choose what they want to see but the bosses say that they could never find what they wanted so I have to change it and this is what they came up with.

Alex

balai

I mean an extension with which you can select multiple categories, manufacturers and features
Check this one:
http://breakdesigns.net/extensions/custom-filters