[Solved] Thumbnails not resizing- no visible resized folder

Started by tread77, January 24, 2013, 21:09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tread77

I need some help.  I have 19k items on my site. 

I do not have a folder called "resized" under products that i can delete as suggested in other posts. 

When I add one it disappears.  I cannot get my 19k existing thumbnails to reset their size without manually using the replace thumbnail option in the listing itself. 

I am using the latest VM2

PRO

Quote from: tread77 on January 24, 2013, 21:09:40 PM

I do not have a folder called "resized" under products that i can delete as suggested in other posts. 

When I add one it disappears. 

???

what do you have set for the "product media url" in vmart configuration???

tread77

/home/proverbs/public_html/images/stories/virtuemart/product/ :: Writeable
/home/proverbs/public_html/images/stories/virtuemart/product/resized/ :: Writeable

When I add a directory in the product folder it is ok.  When I rename it to "resized" it disappears every single time. 

tread77

So why does the resized folder disappear?  I have tried changing the permissions.  The products folder is 777 and won't allow me to change it to 755. 

Using firebug I can see the images are stored in that location but I don't see the folder in my FTP file manager at all.  I upgraded to the latest vmart 2.x and still have the error.

Milbo

Either there is a big misunderstanding of the relative urls, or your hoster is strange. I have absolutly no real idea
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

jenkinhill

Quote from: tread77 on January 25, 2013, 15:52:57 PM
  I have tried changing the permissions.  The products folder is 777 and won't allow me to change it to 755.

No directory should ever need 777 permissions unless you are inviting all hackers in!  If you cannot change it then check the directory & file ownerships as you may need to CHOWN the lot. As Milbo suggests it really does sound like a host issue
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

PRO

tread77,

if you can figure out  the folder issue, creating the thumbs isnt hard (even thousands at a time)

jjk

Just to give you an idea what the standard image paths look like in VM2 configuration - see screenshot below.
Does your Joomla Administrator  'Site - System Information - Directory Permissions' show everything in green (writable)?
A nice tool if you really need to change permissions yourself is 'extplorer', a component which is available in the Joomla extensions directory.

[attachment cleanup by admin]
Non-English Shops: Are your language files up to date?
http://virtuemart.net/community/translations

tread77

Issue was sheer size of the folder with 19k thumbnails and several sizes. 

dylanphelan

I have a similar issue.

Last night i wanted to increase the size of my thumbnails.

I thought that if i deleted the contents of the /resized folder, then new thumbnails would be created.

I deleted the contents, but then all my thumnails disappeared. I eventually found that a new thumbnail was only create when i went into the product details and next to 'USED THUMB URL' deleted the url such as images/stories/virtuemart/product/resized/oscar_220x220.jpg

If i deleted that url then click on save, a new thumb appeared.

how can you create new thumbs without having to do this?

jjk

Normally they will be recreated if 'Enable Dynamic Thumbnail Resizing?' is enabled in VM2 configuration - after clicking on 'Save' in the VM configuration.

dylanphelan

Hi, yes i understand that. I have 'enable dynamic thumbnail re-sizing' enabled.

My issue is like what the original poster said though: If i delete images in the /resized folder - they are not automatically recreated.

It is only when i clear the 'USED THUMB URL'  field and click on save that they are recreated.

I need to be able to resize all my thumbnails in one go.

jjk

Just tested it with a fresh VirtueMart installation (I always disable the thumbnail creation on my own websites, because I prefer to do that with an image editor).
To make shure that VirtueMart recognized all your full images, you can click on 'Tools' > 'Tools & Migration' > 'Synchronize media to Virtuemart' first.

The best way to recreate all thumbnails seems to be to 'Enable Dynamic Thumbnail Resizing' with the desired dimensions (if you like, you could enter i.e. a width value only, in order to keep the aspect ratio), click on 'Save' and then go to 'Shop' > 'Media Files' in the VM administration menu. When you open the 'Media Files' view, the thumbs should be recreated.

dylanphelan

Thanks - I'll try it that way next time I need to change sizes.

Milbo

The version 2.0.21C is exactly addressing this problem. There is now an extra tool in the BE in "Tools". there you can delete your old thumbnails, set a new size and they are recreated on the fly.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member