News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

limit to add custom fields

Started by Grisu74, January 23, 2013, 15:26:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grisu74

Hello, but there is a limit to add custom fields to a product? you can increase it?

[attachment cleanup by admin]
Joomla 3.6.2
If you want to save money buy online at Veneziane & Plissé
www.venezianeplisse.com

cas

I have this same problem.  I need to add more custom fields to a product than VM is allowing me to do.  Why is there a limit?  I need this limit removed ASAP.  Please advise when this limit is removed.

PRO

if its just a simple "color" dropdown.

You can use my plugin
http://www.kaizenmediaworks.com/virtuemart-2-0-custom-field-dropbox-plugin

It will add many into a single custom

cas

Hi Banquet,

I will take a look at your plugin, but in case it doesn't solve the problem completely, can you remove the limit from the base? 

Thanks,
Chuck

cas

Hi Banquet,

I tried the plugin, but it does not allow me to add price adjustments in the product admin as described on the website with |+5.  What am I doing wrong? 

Also, can the limit to the number of Customs Fields be removed from the base?

Regards,
Chuck

PRO

Quote from: cas on February 20, 2013, 04:04:05 AM
Hi Banquet,

I tried the plugin, but it does not allow me to add price adjustments in the product admin as described on the website with |+5.  What am I doing wrong? 

Also, can the limit to the number of Customs Fields be removed from the base?

Regards,
Chuck

Thats the ONLY cart variant custom field I use on my site

Red,Blue|+5,Green,Yellow|+5

what is the limit?

how many? I will tell milbo about this

cas

For the plug-in: In the product admin, in the "Drop Box Selection separated by commas" field, it's not allowing me to type anything into the field to add the "|+5".  It allows me to delete characters, but I cannot type any new characters into that field.  I tried it with Firefox 17.0.2 and IE8.   

In the VM base: why is there any limit to the number of Custom Fields a product can have?  Can the limit be removed all together?  With furniture products, there are lots of fabric and leather choices.

Thanks,
Chuck

cas

Milbo

I am not aware of any limit. And your limit cas is a completly different thing than Grisu is talking about.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

cas

Hi Milbo,

What limit is Grisu talking about, if not the limit on the number of Custom Fields that can be added to a product? 

I was adding custom fields to a product and when it reached 130 custom fields it would not save the product anymore.   When I add another custom field to the product and press the save button, it exits the product and goes to the main VirtueMart control panel.   Can you help?   

Chuck

PRO

Quote from: cas on March 01, 2013, 23:51:54 PM
Hi Milbo,

What limit is Grisu talking about, if not the limit on the number of Custom Fields that can be added to a product? 

I was adding custom fields to a product and when it reached 130 custom fields it would not save the product anymore.   When I add another custom field to the product and press the save button, it exits the product and goes to the main VirtueMart control panel.   Can you help?   

Chuck

is this with ONLY 1 product?

try cloning the product and adding more

also try optimizing the DB

cas

Yes, just one product.   Try adding 130 plus custom fields to one product to see the problem. 

I tried cloning the product and it did not allow adding more Custom Fields to the cloned product.  In fact, for the clone product it got this new error when I tried saving the product: "Invalid Token save"

How should I optimizing the DB? 

PRO

Quote from: cas on March 03, 2013, 00:44:41 AM
Yes, just one product.   Try adding 130 plus custom fields to one product to see the problem. 

I tried cloning the product and it did not allow adding more Custom Fields to the cloned product.  In fact, for the clone product it got this new error when I tried saving the product: "Invalid Token save"

How should I optimizing the DB? 

The standard way would be to log into phpmyadmin  and "optimize tables"

I use  akeebah admin toools" 
https://www.akeebabackup.com/products/admin-tools.html

It has a 1 click backend button to do this.

ALSO:

go into extensions manager and check your database
There might be some errors

cas

Hi Banquet,

There are no errors in the extension manager.  I optimized the tables, but it still does not allow adding the 132nd Custom Field to the product. 

The good news is that I was able to get your plug-in to work!  The instructions say to press the product Save button to enable editing, but that didn't enable editing the custom field.  But when I pressed Save & Close, and then reopened the product, it allowed me to edit the custom field. 

So now I have a workaround by using your plug-in, but it would still be good to see why the VM base only allows 131 custom fields per product.  Did anyone on the VM team try to duplicate this problem by adding 132 custom fields to a product?   

Thanks,
Chuck

PRO

cas,
the reason I created my plugin is because I do not want to load 130 table rows of custom fields for a product.